What should I put on the app?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Johnoh

What should I put on the app?

Post by Johnoh »

Hey everyone. I came across a question on the CCW application that I am not sure how to answer.

FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS 6, 7A, 7B, DO NOT INCLUDE ANY CONVICTION FOR WHICH A COURT HAS
ORDERED SEALED OR EXPUNGED OR RELATIVE TO WHICH A COURT HAS GRANTED RELIEF FROM DISABILITY
PURSUANT TO ORC 2923.14, OR A CONVICTION FOR A MINOR MISDEMEANOR LEVEL OFFENSE.
(6) Are you under indictment for or otherwise charged with a felony, or have you ever been convicted of or
pleaded guilty to a felony, or have you ever been adjudicated as a delinquent child for committing an
act that would be a felony if committed by an adult?

So in freshman year of High school, I was caught with a knife. I was expelled and had to go to court. I got 6 months of probation and it was listed a misdemeanor offence. The charge was have a concealed weapon. My question is would this be a felony conviction as an adult? Everything I have read says that "most" non gun concealed weapons charges are misdemeanors. I am worried that I will check no and get denied because of this. This question just seems really stupid. They can deny you for something you weren't charged with that happened when you were a juvenile.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: What should I put on the app?

Post by JustaShooter »

As is often the case, the details makes a difference. What specific section of Ohio law were you convicted under? Was it 2923.12 (A) (1), 2923.122 (A) or (B), or some other section of Ohio law?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Johnoh

Post by Johnoh »

JustaShooter wrote:As is often the case, the details makes a difference. What specific section of Ohio law were you convicted under? Was it 2923.12 (A) (1), 2923.122 (A) or (B), or some other section of Ohio law?
I honestly don't know. This was a long time ago. I just know I was charged with carrying a concealed weapon. I am thinking I should just get it sealed so it can't bite me in the butt.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Johnoh wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:As is often the case, the details makes a difference. What specific section of Ohio law were you convicted under? Was it 2923.12 (A) (1), 2923.122 (A) or (B), or some other section of Ohio law?
I honestly don't know. This was a long time ago. I just know I was charged with carrying a concealed weapon. I am thinking I should just get it sealed so it can't bite me in the butt.
"Carrying a concealed weapon" involving a knife *should* be a violation of 2923.12 (A) (1) which would be a first degree misdemeanor, but the reason I asked is that if it was committed on school property it could also involve 2923.122 (A) or (B), Illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone, which would be a fifth degree felony.

Certainly, getting the record sealed is a good thing to get done and will likely be well worth the time, effort and expense.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!