Fire Arm Background Checks

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mulegun

Fire Arm Background Checks

Post by Mulegun »

Why can not FFL Dealers grant the firearm purchase with a valid Permit to carry on Ohio? Did Ohio pass the law in 2014 to allow Permit holders after 2014 to be able to?
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Fire Arm Background Checks

Post by Cosmos »

From a practical standpoint, it is likely legal CYA. They do not want any issues should the license have been revoked or suspended since it was issued. Someone could still be in possession of a suspended or revoked license.

A side note: I wish licenses were not counted as revoked simply because someone moved out of state or died. I believe these instances should be reported separately.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
Mulegun

Post by Mulegun »

Yes that makes perfect sense. Yes again on moving..it should make no issue. One who holds a carry Permit or one with out a permit could have criminal charges "pending" during the purchase of Firearm with FLL Dealer unaware if all questions on the form were answered in concealment would it not? I fail to the difference or would I be thinking just wrong?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Cosmos wrote:I wish licenses were not counted as revoked simply because someone moved out of state
Moving out of state no longer causes your license to be revoked, as of MArck 23 2015.

FYI
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mulegun wrote:Why can not FFL Dealers grant the firearm purchase with a valid Permit to carry on Ohio? Did Ohio pass the law in 2014 to allow Permit holders after 2014 to be able to?
FFL dealers can choose to accept a valid Ohio Concealed Handgun License issued March 23 2015 or later in place of calling in a background check. They do not have to, and some do not - in large part because they cannot check the validity of the license. When a license is suspended in Ohio, it is not always seized so you could potentially have a suspended or revoked license in your possession and the dealer would not be able to know anything was amiss.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Ditto to what others have said. To add, when an FFL does a NICS check they are doing one that is live. Your CHL, is not really live. It is a license that is issued at one point, then presumed to be valid for 5 years. The issuing sheriff is suppose to suspend it and notify you that they have done so if they become aware of something coming up, however, that's a two part process that doesn't always happen.

The first is many sheriff's do not become aware when a suspending offense arises. I've heard some sheriff's run all licenses randomly on a monthly basis to check for new offenses but they are not required. Technically if say Columbus PD arrests someone for a disqualifying offense and Clermont County issued the license, Columbus PD should notify them. Well, I can say that does not happen as often as it should.

The second part then is the issuing agency should send a letter to the licensee that they need to turn their license in because it is suspended. Well, to me that's a "you want my license, you come pick it up from me" type thing. So again, probably not many licenses are turned in unless they happen to be confiscated at the time of arrest.

So it's easy for one to have a suspended license in their possession. I don't think an FFL would be liable at all for selling a gun to one having an unknowingly suspended license to them...but it definitely would make news and probably create bad press for the FFL and Ohio CHLs and maybe create a new bad law or removal of the law.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I wonder if FFLs can do it on an individual basis as well. I know of at least one place that allows people they know to use their CHL but not everyone gets that treatment. (and no, I'm not going to name them.)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techguy85 wrote:I wonder if FFLs can do it on an individual basis as well. I know of at least one place that allows people they know to use their CHL but not everyone gets that treatment. (and no, I'm not going to name them.)
Probably nothing illegal about that store's practice but if my CHL was NICS-compliant and I knew what they were doing it *might* compel me to shop elsewhere.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Brian D. wrote:
techguy85 wrote:I wonder if FFLs can do it on an individual basis as well. I know of at least one place that allows people they know to use their CHL but not everyone gets that treatment. (and no, I'm not going to name them.)
Probably nothing illegal about that store's practice but if my CHL was NICS-compliant and I knew what they were doing it *might* compel me to shop elsewhere.
Sure, and nothing wrong with that. I think it is more to do with they know their regulars aren't going to have revoked licenses but aren't so sure about John Doe walking in off the street. But I haven't really asked since it doesn't bother me either way.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Not that many of us do so, but Wal-Mart accepts a CHL in place of the standard checks for the purchase of firearms.
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

techguy85 wrote:I think it is more to do with they know their regulars aren't going to have revoked licenses but aren't so sure about John Doe walking in off the street.
This is how my favorite FFL operates.