Getting CCW on SSI?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Johnoh

Getting CCW on SSI?

Post by Johnoh »

Hey, first post. I am going to be taking the concealed carry class and then applying for my CCW. I had some questions.

Little backstory. I was shot in June last year and put in the icu for a week. I couldn't go back to work so the doctors said I should apply for SSI/disability. I put in an application and a few months later I was approved for SSI for anxiety. I have purchased guns since then fine but I am worried that this will deny me from getting my CCW. There is nothing on the application that would deny me. I handle all of my own affairs/never been committed/never been arrested or anything like that.

So will this come up in their background check and deny me from getting it? Obama put in place some really terrible laws about SSI and firearms.

Also if it helps, I will be going through Lake county for this.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Getting CCW on SSI?

Post by JustaShooter »

Welcome to OFCC!

SSI/disability by itself is not going to be a disqualifier. If you were not competent to manage your own affairs, had been adjudicated mentally incompetent, etc., that would be different. You should not have a problem.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Johnoh

Post by Johnoh »

JustaShooter wrote:Welcome to OFCC!

SSI/disability by itself is not going to be a disqualifier. If you were not competent to manage your own affairs, had been adjudicated mentally incompetent, etc., that would be different. You should not have a problem.
Thanks! Will the SSI information pop up in the NICS check? I worry they will see that I am on mental health SSI and instantly decline me despite me just having anxiety from getting shot.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I really don't know exactly what comes up on the NICS check but it is my understanding it is just a proceed / delay / deny response. You've apparently gotten a "proceed" response from NICS if you've bought firearms since then so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Johnoh

Post by Johnoh »

JustaShooter wrote:I really don't know exactly what comes up on the NICS check but it is my understanding it is just a proceed / delay / deny response. You've apparently gotten a "proceed" response from NICS if you've bought firearms since then so I don't think you have anything to worry about.
That's a relief to hear. Thanks for the info