Current Active Duty Military looking to renew CHL

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

amdesalvo01

Current Active Duty Military looking to renew CHL

Post by amdesalvo01 »

Hello All,

I'm currently on Active Duty for the Coast Guard in San Diego, CA (beautiful place but very Draconian gun laws) and I have an Ohio CCW permit issued to me in 2012 from Mahoning County (I still claim my address there as my place of residence for tax purposes and such, which I'm allowed to under Federal and State law). Well my CHL expires 08/28/17 and I'm looking to know if there is a way I can renew my license by mailing a renewal application in, or do I have to be there in person? I have checked a few counties sheriff's department websites out to see if they would be able to accommodate my situation, but mostly got general and vague information. Has anyone here been in my situation before? And if you were able to renew your license from out of state while on active duty military service, how did you do it? And what county did you do it from? I want to say thank you beforehand to anyone who takes the time out of their day to help me with this! God Bless!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Current Active Duty Military looking to renew CHL

Post by WY_Not »

Should be good till you get back? Been a LONG time since I was in AF and stationed outside of Ohio ('90-'94). But I seem to remember that my DL was valid until such time as I got back to Ohio and then I had the usual 30 days or so to renew. Not sure if CHL would be treated the same way or not. Very curious though.

Back then, spouses didn't enjoy the same benefits. They had to change their residency and deal with all the associated headaches. Made tax time such a joy. I filed Ohio, she filed LA. I think the Federal returns had to be filed separately because state returns had to follow federal as far as filing joint or separate, etc.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

To my knowledge, there is no Sheriff in Ohio that will allow you to renew in Ohio without appearing in person. That leaves your options as 1) taking leave to come back to Ohio to renew or 2) obtain a non-resident license from another state.

Once you get back to Ohio, you can renew even if your license is expired. In addition, as of March 21, 2017, so long as you're on active duty, you can carry in Ohio without a license provided that you carry your ID and proof of equivalent small arms training (I would think your expired CHL would suffice as proof of training).
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

If I'm reading this right, your Ohio license does not need to be renewed if you meet the requirements in ORC 2923.125 (F) (2):
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(F)
(1)
(a) Except as provided in division (F)(1)(b) of this section, a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county, or in the case of a applicant who resides in another state with the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.

(b) A person on active duty in the armed forces of the United States or in service with the peace corps, volunteers in service to America, or the foreign service of the United States is exempt from the license requirements of this section for the period of the person's active duty or service and for six months thereafter, provided the person was a licensee under this section at the time the person commenced the person's active duty or service or had obtained a license while on active duty or service. The spouse or a dependent of any such person on active duty or in service also is exempt from the license requirements of this section for the period of the person's active duty or service and for six months thereafter, provided the spouse or dependent was a licensee under this section at the time the person commenced the active duty or service or had obtained a license while the person was on active duty or service, and provided further that the person's active duty or service resulted in the spouse or dependent relocating outside of this state during the period of the active duty or service. This division does not prevent such a person or the person's spouse or dependent from making an application for the renewal of a concealed handgun license during the period of the person's active duty or service.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!