Relief of Disability and a permit to carry concealed

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BWann495909

Relief of Disability and a permit to carry concealed

Post by BWann495909 »

Hello all I have a question. I was convicted of 2nd degree burglary, which is unable to be sealed under ohio statue, 12 years ago. In 2011 I was granted relief of Disability but have been unsure if I am able to successfully obtain a concealed carry permit as well as what would happen if I tried to buy a gun in regards to the background check. If anyone can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Relief of Disability and a permit to carry concealed

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

If you have been granted a relief from disability then, yes, you can apply for your CHL.

You will want to include a copy of the court order with your application.

If you get delays or denials when purchasing firearms through an FFL, you will also want to file for a VAF UPIN from the FBI.

Because the current background check involves NICS, you MAY need to establish your VAF (Voluntary Appeals File) first, then apply for your CHL.

Unfortunately, it takes about 6 months for the FBI to process a VAF application.
MyWifeSaidYes
BWann495909

Post by BWann495909 »

Update: I took the 8 hour class and spoke with the deputy today who handles CHL applications. He said he had to contact the prosecutor's office to clarify my ability to be approved for a CHL with my relief of disability court document. He said he'll be in contact within a week so I will post when I hear from him
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BWann495909 wrote:Update: I took the 8 hour class and spoke with the deputy today who handles CHL applications. He said he had to contact the prosecutor's office to clarify my ability to be approved for a CHL with my relief of disability court document. He said he'll be in contact within a week so I will post when I hear from him
Please PM me here if they give you any trouble.

I have a family member that went through the exact same hassle.

If the prosecutor has a clue, they will have the Sheriff issue your license.
MyWifeSaidYes
BWann495909

Post by BWann495909 »

Ok thank you very much I appreciate your help!