Student lost original CHL class certificate

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Scorpion

Student lost original CHL class certificate

Post by Scorpion »

Hello,

I am an NRA Certified Instructor and I have a student who passed my course a few years ago and still has a valid license, but she lost her CHL and her original certificate. I believe that a letter from me stating information similar to what I provide on my certificates would be allowed in place of an original certificate.

Has anyone had to put together such a letter? I don't want to mail her out something that doesn't meet what would be needed by the Sheriff's department and State Law.

I don't think that she necessarily needs a letter or certificate to replace a lost ID, but I just want to make sure she has a record of passing my class.

Thanks!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Student lost original CHL class certificate

Post by Chuck »

If her license hasn't expired yet just tell her to go get a replacement

If it has expired, you can make her a certificate using one of the Winchester Marksmanship certificates the NRA sells for a buck apiece (last time I looked)
I've done that for students who lost their certificates before, even charged one guy for it, but he was a jerk anyway
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Scorpion

Post by Scorpion »

Chuck wrote:If her license hasn't expired yet just tell her to go get a replacement

If it has expired, you can make her a certificate using one of the Winchester Marksmanship certificates the NRA sells for a buck apiece (last time I looked)
I've done that for students who lost their certificates before, even charged one guy for it, but he was a jerk anyway
I know she should not have any issues since her CHL should still be valid, and I directed her to the Sheriff's department to get her replacement, but I just want to make sure she has a record of passing my class as well. I will look into the Winchester certificates. No issues that they don't have anything about being a Pistol course? (I would add verbiage that indicates that the course met the criteria of Ohio's Concealed Carry law, blah blah, blah).
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

May be able to help you out, PM sent.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
roughsawn

Post by roughsawn »

So she's lost her original certs and her CHL. Did you ask her if she knows where her gun is? :twisted: :D :D
Working on a Sig line. So far, I have a P250, a 938, and an Ultra!

http://myreloadingbench.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Why does she need the cert?

She was issued an Ohio CHL, yes?

If she lost it and it hasn't expired, all she needs is a notorized affidavit that she lost the license and $15.

If she lost it and it has expired, all she needs is a renewal application and $50.
MyWifeSaidYes
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

^ this ! Once you have a CHL you don't need the certificate to renew.