Need big time help answering the violent offense ?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BrunoPup

Need big time help answering the violent offense ?

Post by BrunoPup »

I just finished my class and went to print off the 5 page application to turn in and got held up by the violent offense ? I believe the exact ? Is #8 of section III. I was charged with misdemeanor assault somewhere between 9-11 years ago. I've contacted my attorney that I used but he has failed to contact me back what so ever. I've heard from various people and websites that because its been more than 3 years since I was charged that I can simply answer no to the ?. I wanted to be exactly sure as to what would happen and this seems like the forum that could really help me. My worry is that if I answer yes they won't even accept my application. Also I'm worried that if I answer no and they run my app and see the charge I will get denied for lying. I have heard more than not that I can answer no due to how long it's been since the charge but I want to be 100% sure. I'm also not 100% sure what I ended up pleading to because it's been so long. I know at the absolute worst I pled to a misdemeanor assault. I've tried to contact sherrif stations who will not give me any answers and as I said before my old attorney has not gotten back to me about what exactly I pled to and how I should answer this ?. Any help would be appreciated thank you for your time.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Need big time help answering the violent offense ?

Post by Chuck »

What county was it in and what EXACTLY were you "convicted" of?

If you know the county you can probably search yourself on the clerk of courts website and find out the answer to the second question
Without knowing the exact charge you plead guilty to, no one can help you
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BrunoPup

Post by BrunoPup »

I tried that already. When I search my name it says " no cases found or cases were sealed " I'm assuming because it's been so long that the case is sealed. I did however find out that I pled to a misdemeanor assault. I found that out from my mother who remembers the hearing. But either way when I check my name through Fairfield county it says " no cases found or have been sealed "
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BrunoPup wrote:... when I check my name through Fairfield county it says " no cases found or have been sealed "
I'm assuming you were not a minor at the time.

Did you check both the Fairfield Municipal Court as well as Fairfield County Common Pleas Court?

Municipal is here: http://www.fcmcourt.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Common Pleas is here (Clerk's site): http://www.fairfieldcountyclerk.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
BrunoPup

Post by BrunoPup »

Thank you for the links and yes I tried both. It's pulling up absolutely nothing.
BrunoPup

Post by BrunoPup »

Ok I finally found it. I plead guilty to assault in 2006. If I answer yes to question 8 will they still run my application and make a consideration based on time? Or am I legally able to answer no since it's been 10 years ( more than 3 ). Thank you again for your time.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BrunoPup wrote:Ok I finally found it. I plead guilty to assault in 2006. If I answer yes to question 8 will they still run my application and make a consideration based on time? Or am I legally able to answer no since it's been 10 years ( more than 3 ). Thank you again for your time.
On 8 you would have to answer 'Yes', but on 9 you would answer 'No'.

You should include a copy of the information you found with your application.

I believe that Questions 8 & 9 both asking about misdemeanor violence is an oversight. It does not need to be referenced in 9 (which has the 'within 3 years' clause) if it's going to be asked about in question 8.

Unfortunately, until we get that form changed, it is what it is.
MyWifeSaidYes