Wayne County wait time?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

megamanpr

Wayne County wait time?

Post by megamanpr »

Hello to you all. I dropped my new CCW application at Wayne County S O on June 30th and was wondering what is the average wait time for this County. I searched the forums and found a lot of good reviews for this County but the posts are 3 years old or more and would appreciate a more recent feedback.

Thanks again.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Wayne County wait time?

Post by JustaShooter »

Saw a report recently from someone that got theirs in under a week (new license), and that's pretty typical for them unless anything comes back during the background check that needs investigating. I'd suspect the holiday has gotten in the way of yours. Did you give them a self-addressed, stamped envelope? If so, my money would be on seeing it in the mail in the next couple of days.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
megamanpr

Post by megamanpr »

JustaShooter wrote:Saw a report recently from someone that got theirs in under a week (new license), and that's pretty typical for them unless anything comes back during the background check that needs investigating. I'd suspect the holiday has gotten in the way of yours. Did you give them a self-addressed, stamped envelope? If so, my money would be on seeing it in the mail in the next couple of days.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I gave them a self-addressed stamped envelope. I hope to see it on the mail pretty soon. Thanks again.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

megamanpr wrote:... I hope to see it on the mail pretty soon...
Just please don't get upset if it takes the full 45 calendar days. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
megamanpr

Post by megamanpr »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
megamanpr wrote:... I hope to see it on the mail pretty soon...
Just please don't get upset if it takes the full 45 calendar days. :wink:
Hehe, trust me I won't, I have a permit to possess firearms from one of the US territories and it took 160 days even though the police has 120 days by law to process your permit. And that is only to possess.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

megamanpr wrote: ...I have a permit to possess firearms from one of the US territories and it took 160 days even though the police has 120 days by law to process your permit. And that is only to possess.
That sounds very interesting, would you care to elaborate? I'm certainly curious about how firearms laws are in U.S. territories.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
megamanpr

Post by megamanpr »

Brian D. wrote:
megamanpr wrote: ...I have a permit to possess firearms from one of the US territories and it took 160 days even though the police has 120 days by law to process your permit. And that is only to possess.
That sounds very interesting, would you care to elaborate? I'm certainly curious about how firearms laws are in U.S. territories.
Well, I lived in Puerto Rico (born and raised) and process for obtaining a permit to possess (not carry) is:
-fill out an application (they even ask the name of your previous spouse so thry can interview them)
-get two 2x2 passport pictures
-buy two government stamps, one for $100 and another for $25
-you have to show proof that you are a member of a shooting range club for the whole five years the license is valid to. (Memberships are around $200 depending on the range)
-you have to go to a lawyer with 3 witnesses and fill out an affidavit for each witness and one affidavit for the person requesting the license (the witnesses cannot be family members)(also each affidavit costs $20)
-go to the police gun registry closest to your home and get fingerprints taken and turn in application.
-the police has 120 days to approve or deny your application. (Mine took 160 days because they do whatever they want over there)
-after you receive your license (if you receive it) you have 45 days to get a weapons use and handling certificate. (Costs $50)

It is that easy.
megamanpr

Post by megamanpr »

Brian D. wrote:
Im not going to go through all the law but if you ever use your gun you are pretty much in jail, you have to prove that you have met all the requierments to justify self defense which is pretty hard, and even if you are found not guilty, the other party can and will held you accountable in a civil case.
megamanpr

Post by megamanpr »

*UPDATE*
Hey folks, I called the Wayne County Sheriff's Office and spoke with the officer in charge of the CCW applications, I mentioned that my license has not arrived (14 days and counting) he sounded surprised when I told him that my license hasn't arrived yet and he said he will make sure to print another one and mail it tomorrow. the officer I spoke with was very friendly and helpful. Anyhow just wanted to let you guys know my experience with Wayne County so far, much better than Summit County where they turned me back because my DD214 was no good because it was 5 years old, I told the deputy at the front desk that by law or regulation it is good for 6 years. Maybe he couldn't understand my poorly spoken english :roll: :lol: but I had the feeling that they weren't there to help people, that's why I went to Wayne Co.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

megamanpr wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
Im not going to go through all the law but if you ever use your gun you are pretty much in jail, you have to prove that you have met all the requierments to justify self defense which is pretty hard, and even if you are found not guilty, the other party can and will held you accountable in a civil case.
You did fine in explaining with your previous post, thanks. Others on here probably had no idea how difficult it can be to own/possess firearms in other places. I sure didn't think a U.S. territory was that far removed from the concept of our Constitution.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
megamanpr

Post by megamanpr »

*Update*
So I gave up on the postal service and decided to make the one hour trip to WCSO and got my license within 5 minutes. Very professional people here but the postal service is so unreliable these days that I waited 22 days to get the license even though it was issued on the same day that I applied.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, does that mean that there are 2 invalidated CHL cards on their way to you? :?
MyWifeSaidYes
megamanpr

Post by megamanpr »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:So, does that mean that there are 2 invalidated CHL cards on their way to you? :?
Yes...If they ever make it here. The deputy told me to shred them if they arrive which I will make sure to do so when/if they get here.
skarfer

Post by skarfer »

megamanpr wrote:because my DD214 was no good because it was 5 years old,.
How can your DD214 be too old? that's the form used by the US gov't when you exit the military??? It should NEVER expire????
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

skarfer wrote:
megamanpr wrote:because my DD214 was no good because it was 5 years old,.
How can your DD214 be too old? that's the form used by the US gov't when you exit the military??? It should NEVER expire????
The DD214 itself doesn't expire, but it is only valid to qualify as proof of training for a concealed handgun license for a specific period of time - currently, 10 years.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!