Cuyahoga County Application Question

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

auxiliarypie

Cuyahoga County Application Question

Post by auxiliarypie »

Hi all, looking for some insight here.

I applied for my CHL in Cuyahoga on May 5th and have yet to hear back from them. I called their office, and it is just an automated machine where I left a message with my name and number, but they haven't gotten back to me in a week now.

I do not know of anything on my record that could hold the application up (never even had a driving infraction, let alone a criminal record). I noticed that they must be incredibly busy, judging by how far out an available appointment is on their website. The only other thing I can think that may have delayed it, is that I addressed my envelope to Toledo, where I go to school, but am not a permanent resident... I didn't think anything of it at the time, and the woman who processed my application didn't say anything about the address when she took the envelope (and if that was a real issue, you'd think they'd send a letter to me much sooner saying my address made it invalid or something).

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on why it would be so delayed? From scanning the forums I've seen some horror stories about counties having crazy delays/abuses of power and I really hope I haven't fallen into a situation like that. Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight! In the mean time I will try to stay patient :)
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Cuyahoga County Application Question

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

You can call the Sheriff's main number and ask for the person in charge of the CCW program.

If they want to know why, let them know you have questions that the people at the CCW desk can't answer.

There are several Sheriffs that are exceeding 45 days and every one of them is blaming slow response from BCI.

Yes, it's supposed to be "shall-issue", but the law isn't really worded that way.
2923.125(D)(1)

Except as provided in division (D)(3) of this section, within forty-five days after a sheriff's receipt of an applicant's completed application form for a concealed handgun license under this section, the supporting documentation, and, if not waived, the license fee, the sheriff shall make available through the law enforcement automated data system in accordance with division (H) of this section the information described in that division and, upon making the information available through the system, shall issue to the applicant a concealed handgun license that shall expire as described in division (D)(2)(a) of this section if all of the following apply:
The Sheriff doesn't know "if all of the following apply" until they get the background check results.
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

auxiliarypie wrote: I called their office, and it is just an automated machine where I left a message with my name and number, but they haven't gotten back to me in a week now.
I believe I have her direct number at work. I will post it once I get there.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Try Marie at the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's office @ 216-443-5563 I had to call it one time and she did answer.

Good luck.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Yes, it's supposed to be "shall-issue", but the law isn't really worded that way.
2923.125(D)(1)

Except as provided in division (D)(3) of this section, within forty-five days after a sheriff's receipt of an applicant's completed application form for a concealed handgun license under this section, the supporting documentation, and, if not waived, the license fee, the sheriff shall make available through the law enforcement automated data system in accordance with division (H) of this section the information described in that division and, upon making the information available through the system, shall issue to the applicant a concealed handgun license that shall expire as described in division (D)(2)(a) of this section if all of the following apply:
The Sheriff doesn't know "if all of the following apply" until they get the background check results.
The Sheriff doesn't know "if all of the following apply" even after they get the background check results. Granted, they may have something more upon which to base their belief but they still don't know. And the law still compels them to issue in 45 days. If they have a problem with BCI being slow, then they need to issue the license, contact the AG and say something like "you know, we are having to issue licenses at the 45 day mark because the law says we must, but we haven't gotten the BCI results back. It's going to look pretty bad for you if we issue to an ineligible person because of this and something tragic happens. You better see about fixing whatever is wrong at BCI."
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
auxiliarypie

Post by auxiliarypie »

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will be calling their office today after work... much appreciated!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm on your side, Justa, but the argument is "within 45 days, issue IF...".

One Sheriff I talked to really challenged me and I had to re-read the law, letter by letter.

I don't think we're going to beat this one without the help of the OGA, and I don't think they'll be in a hurry to support "issuing without a background check". We may as well adopt 'permitless carry' at that point.

And as political animals, the Sheriff's would rather err on the side of not issuing without a background check. They face no repercussions under the law. Only affected individuals can protest. And if it hits the news, I believe there are more people that would support the Sheriff's position (at this point in time).

WE know that the law is intended to be 'shall-issue', but there is nothing in the law that explicitly states that the license 'shall be issued' if the conditions stated are unknown.

As usual, I am open to suggestions.
MyWifeSaidYes
init_dot_t

Post by init_dot_t »

every time I hear that the bci takes a long time I want to just yell BS! I live in Summit County and I looked at every county around me before I took my class to see who wasnt going to screw around. I find it strange that Portage county can issue them on the spot but other counties push the 45 day to the max.
auxiliarypie

Post by auxiliarypie »

pirateguy191 wrote:Try Marie at the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's office @ 216-443-5563 I had to call it one time and she did answer.

Good luck.
I called and left a message for Marie, and also left another message on their main line. I also emailed the sheriff office.

I just don't get the point in delaying this stuff, what do they get out of it?