Residency without a residence

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Kenosis

Residency without a residence

Post by Kenosis »

I need your help.

Being new to Ohio and, frankly, flat broke as a result of the events bringing me here, it may be some time before I have an actual home. Meanwhile, for purposes of registering my car, car insurance, VA care, receiving mail, etc, I use a UPS Store address. I feel it's important to note that I work and sleep in a city about an hour+ away from the UPS Store I use. While I have every intention of settling down with a real home asap, it may be a year until that happens, and I will be using weekly-rate hotels until then (and hotel hopping, as it's against the law to stay in a single hotel for more than a month. This means I cannot use a hotel as my residence address).

Questions:
-Knowing that I can in fact use the UPS Store address for my drivers licence, can I also use it for an Ohio CHL?
-If so, am I correct in assuming I should submit my CHL paperwork to the sheriff's office in the county my UPS Store address is, and not the city that I work/sleep in?
-Am I correct in my reading of the Firearms Pamphlet that my DD214 showing combat deployment and honorable discharge will fulfill the training requirements even-though DD214s do not document specific weapons qualifications? I did receive a healthy dose of weapons training, but the Army never gave us documentation of such courses to keep.
-I'm not accustomed to informing police that I'm carrying. How can I inform a police officer tactfully?

I thank you for your time :)
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Residency without a residence

Post by sodbuster95 »

Kenosis wrote:I will be using weekly-rate hotels until then (and hotel hopping, as it's against the law to stay in a single hotel for more than a month. This means I cannot use a hotel as my residence address).
I am aware of no Ohio law which states that you may stay at a hotel for no more than 30 days. To which law are you referring?
Kenosis wrote:-Knowing that I can in fact use the UPS Store address for my drivers licence, can I also use it for an Ohio CHL?
Hmm...the requirements for a CHL don't mandate a "permanent" address, but the form does differentiate between your residence address and current mailing address. I might suggest putting your current actual living address (wherever that might be) on the form and then using the mailing address in the indicated section.
Kenosis wrote:-If so, am I correct in assuming I should submit my CHL paperwork to the sheriff's office in the county my UPS Store address is, and not the city that I work/sleep in?
Again, the CHL requirements don't really specify what your "residence" is. However, other sections of the ORC do. For your purposes, I would submit the application in the county in which you actually "reside" or any adjacent county (if you were not aware, you are allowed to submit an application for a CHL to any county that is adjacent the county in which you reside).
Kenosis wrote:-Am I correct in my reading of the Firearms Pamphlet that my DD214 showing combat deployment and honorable discharge will fulfill the training requirements even-though DD214s do not document specific weapons qualifications? I did receive a healthy dose of weapons training, but the Army never gave us documentation of such courses to keep.
Yes, although some Sheriff's Offices seem to handle this differently than others. When I submitted my application, the Sheriff took my 214 without question. I've heard of other situations where they want to see some evidence of firearms training on the 214. Regardless, I would strongly suggest reading the AG's handbook and familiarizing yourself with Ohio's laws regarding concealed carry (notably, you will sign an affidavit that you've read the AG's handbook, so you should do it anyway.)
Kenosis wrote:-I'm not accustomed to informing police that I'm carrying. How can I inform a police officer tactfully?
Lots of threads here on that. The few times I've had to inform, I've simply stated "Officer, I have a license to carry a firearm and I am currently armed." Please make sure you keep your hands in view the entire time. (Again...read the AG's handbook.)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

sodbuster95 wrote:I am aware of no Ohio law which states that you may stay at a hotel for no more than 30 days. To which law are you referring?
Zoning laws pertaining to hotels and motels licenced to offer shelter to "transients" but not "residents". To offer "resident" services a motel has to be zoned for such, which non in my area are.
Kenosis wrote:I might suggest putting your current actual living address (wherever that might be) on the form and then using the mailing address in the indicated section.
Possible. That address is a temporary address though, does that matter?

Thank you for your other advice, I read them and only left them out of this quote for the sake of brevity.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

sodbuster95 wrote:
Kenosis wrote:I will be using weekly-rate hotels until then (and hotel hopping, as it's against the law to stay in a single hotel for more than a month. This means I cannot use a hotel as my residence address).
I am aware of no Ohio law which states that you may stay at a hotel for no more than 30 days. To which law are you referring?
ORC 3731 covers just about everything you could want to know about hotels. Most hotels are considered transient allowing for up to 30 days based on the definition. Extended stays may allow for up to 270 days with the right occupancy permit and state license. That said, many municipalities have ordinances effectively outlawing extended stays by imposing a 30 day limit on all hotels, which they may do under home rule. You tend to see this in cities where there was a history of no tell motels from the 50's serving as residences for the local derelicts.

I remember years ago Fairview Park used to have a bunch of flea bag motels that were full of transients causing all sorts of problems, some having lived there for years by moving rooms every so often. The city passed an ordinance restricting stays to 30 days and imposing criminal penalties on owners who failed to comply. As expected the motels went out of business and the city seized the properties under eminent domain as public nuisances. They've now been replaced with office buildings and such. Really cleaned up Lorain Road.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

djthomas wrote:ORC 3731 covers just about everything you could want to know about hotels. Most hotels are considered transient allowing for up to 30 days based on the definition. Extended stays may allow for up to 270 days with the right occupancy permit and state license. That said, many municipalities have ordinances effectively outlawing extended stays by imposing a 30 day limit on all hotels, which they may do under home rule. You tend to see this in cities where there was a history of no tell motels from the 50's serving as residences for the local derelicts.
Learn something new everyday, I guess. I never really thought about it, to be honest.
Kenosis wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:I might suggest putting your current actual living address (wherever that might be) on the form and then using the mailing address in the indicated section.
Possible. That address is a temporary address though, does that matter?
For purposes of the application, it should not. However, you will need to update the Sheriff's Office each time your residence address changes. There is no requirement in the ORC for you to acquire a new license when your address changes (the opinion of some S.O.'s notwithstanding) so, if you're moving around a lot, this would be more a logistical pain than anything else.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

sodbuster95 wrote:...However, you will need to update the Sheriff's Office each time your residence address changes...
There is no criminal or civil penalty for NOT updating your address. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

I found a place in Bryan that offers monthly rates, indefinite stay, and just secured a room. This solves my largest concern over residency as I can accept mail and use them on my drivers licence, CHL, etc. I feel very blessed to have found this opportunity.

I would like to use this thread to post occasional updates in the event someone else goes through a similar situation.

I thank everyone for their time and ongoing input :)
mreising

Post by mreising »

Welcome to the group. As has been pointed out already, please read the AG's booklet, at a minimum, so you have an understanding of his interpretation of the law. Also, you might want to add a general location to your profile, just a county is fine, as that sometimes helps when you need advice about something that may be more local, e.g., a particular sheriff's interpretation of the law or application process.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

mreising wrote:Welcome to the group. As has been pointed out already, please read the AG's booklet, at a minimum, so you have an understanding of his interpretation of the law. Also, you might want to add a general location to your profile, just a county is fine, as that sometimes helps when you need advice about something that may be more local, e.g., a particular sheriff's interpretation of the law or application process.
Thank you for that. I've downloaded the booklet and will read it this evening. Also, you're right, adding a location to my profile would help; I will do so now :)
Kenosis

Post by Kenosis »

Update: Residency established!

When I transferred my title over to Ohio, the licensing agency accepted the new title as proof of address and issued my Ohio drivers license and new registration.

Thank you everyone for your input :)