Lawrence County CCW Application

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mpickles

Lawrence County CCW Application

Post by mpickles »

Hi all! I moved to Lawrence County from Massachusetts earlier this year so I got to pay the 'less than 5 year' rate when I applied on 4/18. The deputy that took my information said my background check should be back by the end of the week (4/22), but I haven't heard anything from them in two and a half weeks. I just sent them a message through the form on their website so I guess we'll see if they get back to me there. I was just curious if anyone has had a similar experience or if I'm the anomaly. For what it's worth, I did have to check yes on the box that I had been charged delinquent for a felony 20 years ago, but that the charges were later dismissed - this was before she gave me her time estimate. Thanks!
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Lawrence County CCW Application

Post by JustaShooter »

I wouldn't sweat it until you are getting close to 45 days, since the law gives them that much time to perform the check and either issue or deny for cause.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Just my paranoid thought processes, but I suspect that the wait may be due to having to go out of state for information on you.
And I seriously doubt that the organizations involved at the Mass. end consider your getting an Ohio Concealed Handgun License a high priority.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

Perhaps I'm being a bit impatient, yes, but I would be fine waiting the 45 days if they hadn't told me it would be sooner. This is also after I spent a year fighting Massachusetts because they denied me based on dismissed charges so I've invested a little more time into this than they have, lol. I don't know about Ohio, but to check your MA background took me about two hours through the CORI website. That said, it's 2016, nothing computerized should take 45 days.
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

mpickles wrote:... That said, it's 2016, nothing computerized should take 45 days.
The humans aren't computerized...yet.

In Hocking county, the Deputy in charge of the CHL application process is also responsible for LOTS of other things. Apparently he will accept and enter applications, then process them in bulk once every couple weeks.

Don't sweat the wait.
MyWifeSaidYes
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

So, an update. I received a call from Sheriff Lawless about at about the 37 day mark asking why I had checked yes to the felony question as he was unable to locate any criminal background for me at that time. I answered that I had pled 'no contest' to charges of breaking and entering when I was 15 (20 years ago) on advice of a lousy lawyer, but that the charges were later dismissed when I got another lawyer and I provided him with the court paperwork to back this up. It was a technicality, but legally speaking I'm still required to check that box.

Fast forward to today, the 45 days being up on 6/2, and I still haven't heard anything from them despite multiple emails to the deputy in charge of collecting paperwork. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks in advance.
- Mark Edge
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Actually, I think the 45-day timer reset when you provided him with the paperwork for your B&E charges. According to the ORC, the clock starts when you provide the "completed application form for a concealed handgun license under this section, the supporting documentation, and, if not waived, the license fee". When was that, exactly?
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

JustaShooter wrote:Actually, I think the 45-day timer reset when you provided him with the paperwork for your B&E charges.
That. Stinks, in a word. Wonder if they did that on purpose...

To answer your question, paperwork was dropped off on 6/1, but a 5 minute phone call should have been enough to verify what it said. This state is driving me nuts on so many different fronts right now.
- Mark Edge
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

mpickles wrote:... and I provided him with the court paperwork to back this up...
Rut roh, Raggy. I'll have to agree with JustaShooter. That sure does sound like paperwork that should have been submitted with the application.
JustaShooter wrote:... the supporting documentation...
I think the Sheriff would be able to get away with this delay.
MyWifeSaidYes
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
mpickles wrote:... and I provided him with the court paperwork to back this up...
Rut roh, Raggy. I'll have to agree with JustaShooter. That sure does sound like paperwork that should have been submitted with the application.
I had tried to submit a copy of my CORI when I submitted my application but was told that they would pull it themselves. For some reason what they pulled doesn't show the dismissals. I'll just start the clock over and get a lawyer when the new clock is up.

For what it's worth though, the federal background check did clear me to purchase a firearm for protection while I'm at home, so I'm not sure where the Sheriff is pulling from to get different results.
- Mark Edge
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

mpickles wrote:For what it's worth though, the federal background check did clear me to purchase a firearm for protection while I'm at home, so I'm not sure where the Sheriff is pulling from to get different results.
The Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations, most likely. They run both a NICS and BCI background check, and both have to come back clear.
NRA Life Member

mpickles

Post by mpickles »

Good news! Just got an email from the deputy that I was approved. I have an appointment to go pick up my card next week. Thanks for your advice and patience, everyone.
- Mark Edge