More problems.

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Anthd

More problems.

Post by Anthd »

My other posts will explain my problems with my ccw application. After having my record sealed a month ago, I called BCI to verify if it had indeed been sealed. No not yet they told me, which is fine. I may have called early. But after speaking to them, the told me that after they receive the court order to seal it, the are backed up. BY 2 YEARS!!! Question is, can I bring the paper work with me when I reapply from the court saying it has been sealed or do I have to just wait it out or is there any other way to get it done faster? Thanks
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"

General George Washington
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: More problems.

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Take a copy of the judge's order that sealed your record and re-apply.

Submit the order with the application.

A sheriff can not consider a conviction that has been sealed.
MyWifeSaidYes
Island Runner

Post by Island Runner »

Not to bring up a old thread but it is not that old.

I went through the same ordeal and can attest to the fact that the BCI is backlogged 12+ months. I gave it 12 months and attempted a purchase. Denied. Filed a NICS appeal and was told the denial because of a state prohibitor maintained by Ohio BCI. I called BCI and after talking with a very nice and helpful lady that she could see the received my order to seal my records in Nov. of 2014 and it had never been sealed. This was in May 2016! She apologized for the severe backlog they are dealing with and said she would hand the case off to her superviser and he would look into the matter immediately as she did not have the authority to correct the problem. Two days later I got a call back from the BCI saying they apologize for my wait but they had sealed my record and included in the sealed record that my firearms rights had been restored under ORC 2923.14.

The problem lies that to obtain a CHL, you must pass a NICS check. Until that record is sealed, you will not pass it. NICS can and is required to open sealed records on every check. If the conviction for which you had sealed was an offense that prohibited you from purchasing a firearm, the sealed record alone will not help you. You will also need to petition the court for a restoration of your firearms rights under ORC 2923.14 and once you get that accomplished, you must make sure Ohio BCI includes that court order restoring your firearms rights in that sealed record. Been there and done that. Start to finish for me was over 3 years to get it all done. Sucks I know, but keep on top of it and play the waiting game, it's all you can do.
Anthd

Post by Anthd »

I went to Lake county to re apply on May 26 and they were more than helpful. The lady Sheriff there gave me a number to call at BCI and they told me about the backlog as well. They also apologized and said the record would be sealed by the end of the day. The Sheriffs held my application and checked frequently to see when it was sealed and it was. Had my CHL in my hand by mail 4 days later. Love Lake county!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"

Island Runner

Post by Island Runner »

Anthd wrote:I went to Lake county to re apply on May 26 and they were more than helpful. The lady Sheriff there gave me a number to call at BCI and they told me about the backlog as well. They also apologized and said the record would be sealed by the end of the day. The Sheriffs held my application and checked frequently to see when it was sealed and it was. Had my CHL in my hand by mail 4 days later. Love Lake county!
Glad to hear! Congrats!

I am finally at the end of my journey through all of this as well. I turned in my application yesterday but was told it would be around 2 weeks until I received anything in the mail.
Anthd

Post by Anthd »

Congrats to you too. All the BS is worth it in the end.