Looking for a good county...

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

northhillguy

Looking for a good county...

Post by northhillguy »

Guys,

I live in summit county and am bordered by Cuyahoga, Portage, Stark, Wayne and Medina. I have my Certificate of completion so now I need to go to the sheriffs office. I have heard the summit can be a pain in the butt. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to doing it in other counties?

Are they any that I listed that you would recommend?
pirateguy191

Re: Looking for a good county...

Post by pirateguy191 »

Stay away from Summit and Cuyahoga. Portage County and Wayne County are good to deal with.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

^^ Pirateguy's advice in such matters is usually spot on.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Indeed, Summit can be a bit problematic - I hear of people getting theirs without much hassle in just a couple of weeks, but then I hear of far more that are still waiting at 45 days...

I will second Wayne County. You have to set up an appointment, but if you take a self-addressed, stamped envelope to your appointment you should have your license in just a few days. The only downside is that appointment - when things are busy their appointment calendar fills up quickly so it may be a bit of a wait.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

the ONLY good thing about Summit is walk in and walk out, other than that they are not worth the crap that has accumulated on the bottom of my shoes while walking the streets of the city.
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
northhillguy

Post by northhillguy »

Thanks guys. Think I'm gong tocgo to Wayne. Appreciate the input.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Medina is CHL friendly.

edit to add - At least the old one was. Not sure about this new fellow, Tom Miller. Neil F. Hassinger was still in office when I got my first CHL and first renewal.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
northhillguy

Post by northhillguy »

Thanks Guys,

You were right, wayne is booked. But I got a spot in mid may. Thanks!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Disagree some what about Cuyahoga. My 2nd renewal went well...Called for a appointment, 9:00am...went to the license burial on Brookpark Rd. got there 8:45 and was called to the window at 9:00am....pleasant lady...in and out pronto.. :shock:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
northhillguy

Post by northhillguy »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Disagree some what about Cuyahoga. My 2nd renewal went well...Called for a appointment, 9:00am...went to the license burial on Brookpark Rd. got there 8:45 and was called to the window at 9:00am....pleasant lady...in and out pronto.. :shock:
Good to know! Thanks! I have an appointment in wayne. We will see how it goes.
init_dot_t

Post by init_dot_t »

I would recommend Portage county to anyone that can go there. I too reside in Summit and was told by multiple coworkers to go to Portage to get my license. I did have to make an appointment (called Friday and appointment was set for the next Wednesday) but that was the only downfall. I went in at 2:15 and was out by 2:30 with my ccw in hand!
4pocalypse

Post by 4pocalypse »

Co-worker just waited 40 days at Summit....They seemingly delay as long as they can as some sort of power play.

I went to Wayne Co last Friday, recieved my renewal in the mail on Wednesday. The gentleman who handles the ccw process at Wayne could not be more friendly. I highly recommend Wayne County.
Fail to plan, plan to fail
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Disagree some what about Cuyahoga. My 2nd renewal went well...Called for a appointment, 9:00am...went to the license burial on Brookpark Rd. got there 8:45 and was called to the window at 9:00am....pleasant lady...in and out pronto.. :shock:
Are we ceremonially burying our old licenses now? Do we periodically take flowers to put on the license graves?

:D
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Ask your little golf buddy Steve how his experience was. His 2nd renewal was 45 days. One of my students initial license was 47 days.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB