CCW Renewal Lucas County

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

trustycow

CCW Renewal Lucas County

Post by trustycow »

I moved to lucas county after I got my CCW in Mahoning county a few years back and its due to expire in about 30 days. I'd like to renew it, but the lucas county website seems intentionally vague or not up to date on the laws.

Do I need my original training certificate to renew my permit?
lionsfan

Re: CCW Renewal Lucas County

Post by lionsfan »

Here's a link to renewal process on Lucas County website. According to them you do need your original cetificate.

http://www.co.lucas.oh.us/index.aspx?nid=548" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Renewals from another county will be treated like a new application, but charged the renewal fee. You will need your training document and a passport sized photo taken in the last 30 days."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Interesting. Guess I won't move to Lucas County. :roll: Got my original license in 2004, pretty sure my original training certificate has been discarded by now, after two renewals and a dozen years. Not sure my instructor still does that work; best I know he's still alive, at least.

What is it with some sheriffs? (That's a rhetorical, don't attempt to answer.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Negative, Ghost Rider.

Laws change, even if sheriff's web sites do not.

You only need your CHL, valid OR expired (and an application and $50).

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125(F)
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

trustycow wrote:Do I need my original training certificate to renew my permit?
Short answer, no.

Longer answer, Ohio law says in ORC 2923.125 (F) (2)
(2) A sheriff shall accept a completed renewal application, the license renewal fee, and the information specified in division (F)(1) of this section at the times and in the manners described in division (I) of this section.
(F)(1) says:
(1) ... a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county, or in the case of a applicant who resides in another state with the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.
So you are required to submit a completed application, a certification you have read the Ohio AG pamphlet (that certification is part of the application) and the renewal fee. That's it. And (F)(2) says the sheriff "shall accept" that information - they don't have any discretion according to the law.

Now, that said, some sheriff departments seem to believe they can require things in addition to what the law says - and you appear to have bumped into one. You can either submit to their extralegal demands, or if you have the time and inclination, you can fight them. Or, of course, you can renew in a different county that is adjacent to your county of residence.

Of course, all of this assumes that they actually require the original training certificate - it could be that their website is not up to date. I'd be tempted to submit just what is required and see what they say, and if they say you need the certificate, (politely) point out that the law doesn't require it and that they may want to check with their legal department. That of course assumes you are willing to devote the time and energy... And no one will think less of you if you don't, most people just want to grease the skids of life and move through it with as little friction as they can, and that's OK. Either way, post back with your results.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Just my 2 cents...

It may be more of a drive (or, maybe not) but I would suggest renewing in Wood County. You can make an appointment online and the turn-around time in Wood is MUCH faster than Lucas. Moreover, the deputy that does these in Wood County is, I think you'll find, far more pleasant to interact with than those you might encounter in Lucas.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
sumguy

Post by sumguy »

My certification expires next month. Should be interesting. When I first got it, the computers were down everyday for about a week. I started calling first before dealing with downtown parking.