Renewal long before expiration

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

KenB22

Renewal long before expiration

Post by KenB22 »

I renewed my license about 1 year ago. This was my first renewal after my initial license expired. I am taking a trip to Wisconsin in a few months and I'd like to carry.

My question is, can I renew again so my license is Wisconsin compliant even though I have 4 years before my current license expires. Thanks for your help.
JediSkipdogg

Re: Renewal long before expiration

Post by JediSkipdogg »

No, you can only renew a maximum of 90 days early.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg is correct, but if you can swing it, you could get a PA non-resident license that would allow you to carry in WI. The biggest issue is you have to apply in person, at a sheriff's office that will issue non-resident licenses, and that does not require the two references on the application to be PA residents. There are a couple near the OH/PA border that will do so: Crawford County (sheriff's office is in Meadville), Erie County (sheriff's office is in Erie) and Butler County (sheriff's office is in Butler). You need a completed application (fillable PDF here - this one says Crawford county at the top, but that can be changed when you fill it out), $20, and they will make a copy of your Ohio driver license and concealed handgun license, and take your picture. Once you apply it takes just a couple of weeks for the license to be mailed to you.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
ruger

Post by ruger »

After obtaining our Ohio CHLs last April, my wife and I drove over to Erie County PA and got non-resident PA CHLs. The Deputies were really great to deal with. We thought we would apply, and they would mail the CHLs to us later. Instead, they processed everything while we were there and we left with them 30 minutes or so later.

I think the cost was $20 each, but I'm not 100% sure anymore.
KenB22

Post by KenB22 »

Thanks. That's what I'll do. Thanks for the 90 day info also
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I wonder what would stop someone from surrendering their license and then simply re-applying for a new one...
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

techguy85 wrote:I wonder what would stop someone from surrendering their license and then simply re-applying for a new one...
Needless expense? Time spent without a carry license?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:
techguy85 wrote:I wonder what would stop someone from surrendering their license and then simply re-applying for a new one...
Needless expense? Time spent without a carry license?
The sheriff can suspend or revoke a license under R.C. 2923.128, but they can't just cancel one.
MyWifeSaidYes
KenB22

Post by KenB22 »

Not sure I want a sheriff suspension or revocation on my record. I will just get a non-– resident Pennsylvania license.
roxy1223

Post by roxy1223 »

You should just call and ask for a reprint from the SO you got the license at. It'll probably be $15. They do the NIC check and change the date of issue to reflect a date after March 23, 2015.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

roxy1223 wrote:You should just call and ask for a reprint from the SO you got the license at. It'll probably be $15. They do the NIC check and change the date of issue to reflect a date after March 23, 2015.
Though I could be wrong, I do not believer that to be the case. Getting a replacement card should simply be a reprint with the current issue and expiration date, and would not include a NICS check. Otherwise, you could request replacement cards every couple of years and never have to re-apply for renewal.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
roxy1223

Post by roxy1223 »

Franklin county will print a new card with an updated issue date because they will do a NIC check. It wouldn't hurt to check if other counties will do this.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

roxy1223 wrote:Franklin county will print a new card with an updated issue date because they will do a NIC check. It wouldn't hurt to check if other counties will do this.
Is the expiration date updated as well?
NRA Life Member

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

roxy1223 wrote:Franklin county will print a new card with an updated issue date because they will do a NIC check. It wouldn't hurt to check if other counties will do this.
Did they do that for you?
MyWifeSaidYes
roxy1223

Post by roxy1223 »

No, you have the same expiration date. You're only updating issue date so they know you had the NIC check done.

Did they do it for me? No. I just have an inside source to ask these questions to ;)