Hocking County

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Hocking County

Post by 18M_RWR »

I submitted my CHL application today at the Hocking County sheriff department. I have to say it was a VERY pleasant experience!
They do NOT require appointments, just show up during their posted times. I got there about 1:15PM and only had to wait 5 minutes before Deputy Patrick Longfellow came out to meet me and take me back to his office. I probably could have been out of there in 15 minutes but we had a good conversation about many different topics. He did not take my photo but used the one I brought with me. He said they are not getting CHLs turned around in 7 days anymore mainly because of the shear number of applications. He said since the Paris and San Bernardino their has been a 300% increase in applications. The OBCI just can't keep up doing all the background checks.

Also they take CASH! He said he knows they are one of the few that cash (has to be exact) and doesn't understand why more departments do not.
He also said that every deputy in the department likes Concealed Carry and would like to see more people take the necessary steps to be able to protect themselves and their families.

I highly recommend going to the Hocking County sheriff's department to submit your application or renewal if you are in an adjoining county.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Hocking County

Post by 18M_RWR »

15 days and counting since I submitted my CHL application at Hocking County. Sure hope I get the APPROVED phone call soon....
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

When you don't get the call anytime soon, just remember to be upset with BCI, not the Sheriff. :wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:When you don't get the call anytime soon, just remember to be upset with BCI, not the Sheriff. :wink:
Oh I know it is BCI not the Sheriff. Deputy Longfellow told me they used to turn them around in 7days but now it takes a lot longer to get the background check back from BCI.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

Only 6 more days and will hit 45 calendar days since I gave Deputy Patrick Longfellow at the Hocking County Sheriffs department my CHL paperwork. They made it real convenient to drop the paperwork off to them but seeing all the posts of people in other counties getting theirs back in half the time I've been waiting makes me think they have changed their policy to take all 45 days to issue the CHL. Long long way from the 7days Deputy Longfellow said they used to be able turn them around.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

When I got mine (over 2 years ago) it was less than 2 weeks.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I believe the reference to Deputy Longfellow is actually Deputy Lightfoot (spelling not withstanding). 8)
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

Aesinsp wrote:I believe the reference to Deputy Longfellow is actually Deputy Lightfoot (spelling not withstanding). 8)
You are correct it is Deputy Patrick Lightfoot! I was able to pick up my license on 4/6 and saw that I totally blew it on his name in all my previous posts. Can't believe I got it so wrong after trying to make a mental note of his name during my initial visit to submit my application :shock:
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

I don't know about you but I get nervous speaking with the police..(have since my 1st ticket ever - they seem to be used to it) and this one knows my ex-wife.. Well, one of them. :lol:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aesinsp wrote:I don't know about you but I get nervous speaking with the police..(have since my 1st ticket ever - they seem to be used to it) and this one knows my ex-wife.. Well, one of them. :lol:
We'll have to go to some more council meetings. I'll be happy to put your name on the speakers list.

Consider it free public speaking training.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Aesinsp wrote:I don't know about you but I get nervous speaking with the police..(have since my 1st ticket ever - they seem to be used to it) and this one knows my ex-wife.. Well, one of them. :lol:
We'll have to go to some more council meetings. I'll be happy to put your name on the speakers list.

Consider it free public speaking training.

:mrgreen:
I don't know too many places one can get that.. feel free.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Aesinsp wrote:I don't know too many places one can get that.. feel free.
Thousands of village and city council meetings, county commissioner meetings, township trustee meetings, various public board meetings (zoning, parks, etc.) and so on.

Find one with an appropriate meeting day and time for your schedule. Visit and sign up to speak. Get up to the lectern and compliment them on how nice the meeting room looks. Then sit back down.

Repeat with different entities and different compliments.

Work your way up to suggestions, then, if you have any, complaints.

Threatening them with lawsuits and daring them to arrest you for violating some illegal ordinance...that comes later. :wink:

There is a gentleman that speaks at EVERY Dublin city council meeting...because it is his civic duty to do so (his words). One day, when I was there to get them to drop their assault weapons ban, he spent 5 minutes complimenting council on how nice the flowers looked on the median strips and various hanging baskets around town.

Every meeting.
MyWifeSaidYes
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

There is a gentleman that speaks at EVERY Dublin city council meeting...because it is his civic duty to do so (his words). One day, when I was there to get them to drop their assault weapons ban, he spent 5 minutes complimenting council on how nice the flowers looked on the median strips and various hanging baskets around town.

Every meeting.
Sounds like he needs a hobby. Like shooting. Often.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: There is a gentleman that speaks at EVERY Dublin city council meeting...because it is his civic duty to do so (his words). One day, when I was there to get them to drop their assault weapons ban, he spent 5 minutes complimenting council on how nice the flowers looked on the median strips and various hanging baskets around town.

Every meeting.
Our town had one of those, but he was sort of a Doc Emmett Brown (Back to the Future) eccentric inventor type as well. He happened to be a cousin of my captain on the Fire Department at the time, and sometimes he would come to the fire station to sort of preview whatever his latest brainstorm was. So one afternoon I step out front of the garage, to see Professor Zany chatting with my boss. The Prof has on a bulky looking vest of some kind, and is just pulling a revolver out of a case while starting to explain what he's up to. Seems as though he's trumped traditional body armor with something better, of his own creation. Apparently he was going to ask my captain (after all, they were kin) to shoot him so he could demonstrate.

I really wish he'd skipped the firehouse preview and taken his presentation straight to City Hall at a council meeting instead. They would have thought nothing of him being there since he spoke often; hilarity would have ensued when he donned that vest and pulled the wheel gun out in front of the other attendees, I'm certain.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.