Union or Madison county - Do they require an appointment?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mikado613

Union or Madison county - Do they require an appointment?

Post by Mikado613 »

I'm looking to renew my CHL which expires in April. I live in Franklin county. I looked at all the sheriff's web sites that border Franklin. When I look at Union and Madison, I don't see any mention of an appointment. Does anyone know if they take walk-ins, or do they require an appointment?
someguy

Re: Union or Madison county - Do they require an appointment

Post by someguy »

Madison does not take appointments, and I recommend them. They use to have Saturday hours even. I'd call first to be sure but I think you're good to go.
Mikado613

Post by Mikado613 »

My mistake :oops: I Googled Union County Sheriff. I didn't see anything about appointments on their web site. I called to verify if I needed an appointment, and then realized I was talking to someone in the wrong state. So I called the correct Union county, and was able to get an appointment within a week.
BobK

Post by BobK »

For a license expiring 3 months away, I would simply make the appointment in Franklin County and save the drive. If isn't as if you are pressed for time.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Mikado613

Post by Mikado613 »

BobK wrote:For a license expiring 3 months away, I would simply make the appointment in Franklin County and save the drive. If isn't as if you are pressed for time.
I'm currently between jobs, so I had free time. And I was able to get an appointment in Union county sooner than Franklin. When I called Union county, they were able to schedule an appointment a week from the day I called. Franklin was scheduling appointments about three weeks out when I checked their web site. So it worked out better for me.

When I arrived, I was greeted by the deputy near the metal detector
deputy: Hi, how can I help you?
me: Hi, I have an appointment to renew my CHL.
deputy: CHL?
me: concealed handgun license
deputy: Oh, you must mean a concealed weapons permit. Do you have an appointment?
me: Yes, I do.

So after the security check I went down the hall to the waiting area. I was greeted within a couple of minutes by the employee who handles the applications. He took my fingerprints & application. Then took a photo for my new license. He told me it should be mailed to me in about two weeks. The whole process took about 10 minutes.

This is also mentioned on their web site. They accept money order, personal check, or certified bank check for payment. They do not accept cash.
ashtabula

Post by ashtabula »

" They accept money order, personal check, or certified bank check for payment. They do not accept cash."

Is it just me, or does anyone else get a little peeved when a government entity won't accept cash." For all debt public and private".
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Clermont County has always accepted cash, but they require exact change. It says so on their website, but not everybody knows ahead of time. I try to take along some extra small bills to help out others in line.

No idea why the Sheriffs Office can't do that too, the nearest bank is a couple miles down the road.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.