Question 7A and 7B on Ohio CHL application.

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Supr3m3

Question 7A and 7B on Ohio CHL application.

Post by Supr3m3 »

(7A) Are you under indictment for, or otherwise charged with, or have you been convicted of, or pleaded guilty to an offense under ORC 2925, 3719, or 4729, that involves illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution of, or trafficking in a drug,of abuse?

(7B) Have you ever been adjudicared a delinquent child for committing an act that would, if committed b6 an adult, be an offense under ORC 2925, 3719, or 4729, that involves illegal possession, use, sale, administration, distribution of, or trafficking in a drug of abuse?

I was charged as a minor (15 years ago) with possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. Never any drug charges as an adult. All this legel lingo in these 2 questions have me confused. Could anyone give me a suggestion how I should answer these? I was thinking no on 7a and yes On 7B but am unsure.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Question 7A and 7B on Ohio CHL application.

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

DON'T answer them.

Go get your juvenile record expunged first.

Call the juvenile court and ask them if they have an application form for expunging your record.
MyWifeSaidYes
Supr3m3

Post by Supr3m3 »

But those charges wouldn't matter anyway would They? I thought only violent charges and felonies forfeit you from a ccw?
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Supr3m3 wrote:But those charges wouldn't matter anyway would They? I thought only violent charges and felonies forfeit you from a ccw?
You should follow the advice given.

Or at the very least use the search function of the forums to discover the many times this has been discussed.

Welcome to the forums by the way.
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

I was in your shoes over a pot bust from decades past, although I was 21 at the time, so no "expungement" for adult conviction. That is only available for juvenile convictions. I needed to have my conviction "sealed" prior to applying for my Ohio CHL. Easy process, hindsight is that I should have gone forward with it years ago.

Do as MWSY suggested.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Supr3m3 wrote:But those charges wouldn't matter anyway would They? I thought only violent charges and felonies forfeit you from a ccw?
Incorrect.

All misdemeanor drugs convictions (except minor misdemeanors) disqualify a person from a concealed handgun license (CHL). Minors do not have a"conviction", it is called adjudicated as a delinquent child, however it essentially means the same thing.

Your minor record will be expunged if you simply go through the process to request it. Once the expungement happens, then it is as if it never happened. Then you can get your your CHL. If you apply right now, you'll be denied and have to wait a year to re-apply (and will still need to complete an expungement).
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?