CHL Training Course for under 21 y.o.???

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

glocksmith

CHL Training Course for under 21 y.o.???

Post by glocksmith »

A friend asked me if a person who is not yet 21, but will be so in a couple months, can take the CHL training course now, and then apply for the license after their birthday. I told them IDK. I'm sure this topic has come up somewhere, sometime, but not enough hours in the day for me to research it. Thanks to anyone who can provide an answer.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: CHL Training Course for under 21 y.o.???

Post by Javelin Man »

I'm pretty sure they can take it, a parent or guardian should be present during the firing portion of the course to supply the handgun for the young'un. My older daughter, 18 or 19 at the time took a lot of the class including the firing portion using her (mine) Colt Lawman .357. She didn't participate long enough to get a certificate but it may be up to the individual instructor to give a certificate either on their 21st birthday or right away with the stipulation they don't apply until the right time.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Thanks Javelin. I'll pass that along to my buddy - along with the recommendation that they first consult with whichever instructor they select for their training course.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

There is no restriction in Ohio law that I can find that would prevent someone over 18 but not yet 21 from taking the class (but they cannot apply until they turn 21 of course). Since the class will of necessity be taught by a responsible adult, that person can satisfy the requirement in ORC 2923.21, it does not need to be a parent or guardian:
2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.

(A) No person shall do any of the following:
(3) Furnish any firearm to a person who is under eighteen years of age or, subject to division (B) of this section, furnish any handgun to a person who is under twenty-one years of age, except for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes, including, but not limited to, instruction in firearms or handgun safety, care, handling, or marksmanship under the supervision or control of a responsible adult;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Thanks Justa. It's my buddy and his soon to be 21yo son who will probably take the class together if they can coordinate schedules. If they have to take it separately, yours is a good idea and I'll suggest that to them. BTW, they have suddenly decided to get their CHL's after the San Bernarino incident.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
budman70

Post by budman70 »

My nephew and his son who was under 21, I think 19 at the time. They both took the course. The instructor told them he can take the course and the certificate is good for five years. I don't know if he got his ccw yet. It has been a couple years since he took the course.
Chu Lai 67-68
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

budman70 wrote:The instructor told them he can take the course and the certificate is good for five years. I don't know if he got his ccw yet. It has been a couple years since he took the course.
The certificate is only good for 3 years so if it has already been a couple of years, he needs to get a move on if he hasn't already gotten his license.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Thanks to all for the replies :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

I was told in instructor training class anyone over the age of 9 can take the class, just cant apply for ccw until 21.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor
budman70

Post by budman70 »

JustaShooter wrote:
budman70 wrote:The instructor told them he can take the course and the certificate is good for five years. I don't know if he got his ccw yet. It has been a couple years since he took the course.
The certificate is only good for 3 years so if it has already been a couple of years, he needs to get a move on if he hasn't already gotten his license.
You have just confirmed what I thought I had read. I did read it somewhere but can't remember off hand.
Chu Lai 67-68
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

sunfish valley wrote:I was told in instructor training class anyone over the age of 9 can take the class, just cant apply for ccw until 21.
Until the age of 18, as I understand it, a parent our legal guardian would need to provide written permission for them to possess a handgun. From 18 U.S. Code § 922
(x)
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
(A) a handgun; or

(3) This subsection does not apply to—
(A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile—
(i) in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
(ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile’s parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except—
(I) during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or
(II) with respect to ranching or farming activities as described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile’s parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;
(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;
NRA Life Member