Requalification?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Seeker411

Requalification?

Post by Seeker411 »

I had someone ask if he had to requalify (shooting) for his 1st renewal. I'd never heard of such a thing, but I have seen people "auditing" a CHL course and actively firing on the line. I remember the instructor saying they were there for renewal. I'm confused. Any insights?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Requalification?

Post by JustaShooter »

You no longer have to re-qualify to renew, that was removed some years back. That said, "auditing" a class to get a refresher isn't a bad idea. Of course, with the reduced class times, finding one that does a good job covering changes in the law (the most beneficial aspect of auditing a class in my opinion) is difficult.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

There used to be a range re-qual on your second renewal but never for the first. That has been removed from the law.

Just curious, how long have you been instructing the Ohio CHL class and how is it going seeing as your still teaching 12 hour classes? Have you lost any students because they would rather get it done in 8 hours? Again, just curious.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:Just curious, how long have you been instructing the Ohio CHL class and how is it going seeing as your still teaching 12 hour classes? Have you lost any students because they would rather get it done in 8 hours? Again, just curious.
I'm guessing this was directed to me - but I'll answer regardless... :wink:

I've been assisting and instructing for about 2 years or so. We don't actually teach a full 12 hour class anymore, it's a little less than 11 hours now, typically. 8am to 7pm, with a bit of travel time from classroom to range. So depending on when we break to head to the range, it usually goes about 10h 45m or thereabout. We experimented with a 10 hour class, but we just didn't have enough time to really cover all of the "practical" aspects and review the legal side the way we wanted. Honestly, we still don't cover it as well as I'd like but the schedule works well with the classroom we use and the range we rent (it closes to the public at 5 and we have it till 7) so it seems like a good compromise.

I don't know if we've lost any students or not. I've never had anyone tell me they weren't going to take our class because it was longer than the 8 hour classes offered by other instructors. I *have* had students say they are taking our class based on our reputation and that we devote extra time to the practical and legal aspects. We market it as being longer than the state requires for exactly that reason. Honestly, if we've lost a couple of students here or there because of that, I'm OK with it. If you want to take the minimum class, you probably only want to pay the minimum, and really aren't looking to put forth more than the minimum effort required. I'd rather not have that student even if it means I have an empty seat and don't get the fee. We limit our classes to 10 students, and we've been running about 8 on average since the law changed which is about what we did before the change so if it is having an impact, I don't see it.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

JustaShooter wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:Just curious, how long have you been instructing the Ohio CHL class and how is it going seeing as your still teaching 12 hour classes? Have you lost any students because they would rather get it done in 8 hours? Again, just curious.
I'm guessing this was directed to me - but I'll answer regardless... :wink:
No.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB