How long to renew

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Leatherneck

How long to renew

Post by Leatherneck »

My CCL expires in Feb of 2016 How long before that time should I start the process of renewing to ensure I don't have any gaps in my license? This would be for Huron County
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: How long to renew

Post by JustaShooter »

Each county has its own "pace" for applications and renewals, and I can't recall seeing anything about Huron so it's hard to say how long they are likely to take.

But, in general, you can apply up to 90 days before expiration. Now, doing so could lose you some time at the other end of the license as some counties update the expiration date to 5 years after the issue date of the new license rather than extending the old expiration date by 5 years.

Also, by law they are supposed to issue within 45 days of the application, and you have a 30-day grace period after expiration where you can still carry, so in theory you could apply 45 days early and be pretty sure you will have the new license in hand before expiration, or shortly enough after that the grace period will cover you.

Since I got my license from Wayne County and they tend to issue renewals either on the spot or within a few days of applying, my plan is to renew about a week before expiration unless I find out that things have changed before then.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Thank You for the info. that gives me a good idea of when to start the renewal
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Let the past history on renewals of the Sheriff's Office you choose be your guide.

I tend towards 90 days per my experience vis-à-vis my above comment.