Just a quick question-

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MYFELLOWAMERICANS

Just a quick question-

Post by MYFELLOWAMERICANS »

Hello, friends-

I took the CCW course in 2004, I still have my certificate of competition. I attained my first license and it was in good standing (never broke any laws then or now) I did let it expire in 2008 and never went back and reupped it. I no longer have the actual plastic card you carry in your wallet. Do I need to retake the course or can I just use my original certificate of competition?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Just a quick question-

Post by JustaShooter »

The certificate is only good for 3 years, but your expired license is proof of competency and would allow you to "renew" even though it has been expired for a long time. The problem is as you describe - you don't have the physical license. I have heard some counties require the physical license, but it may not be the case with your county. It would be worth a call to see.

In any case, the laws have changed a fair bit since you last had a license so it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the class again from someone who does a good job covering the legal aspects. In fact, I have heard of some instructors that will allow you to sit in on the class for a reduced fee (but if you end up needing a new certificate, they may not be as willing).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MYFELLOWAMERICANS

I live in Summit County. Do you happen to know if they require the actual card. After reading about some Summit County experiences I am intimidated to call the sheriff's office :(
MYFELLOWAMERICANS

I went ahead and called Summit County and spoke to their CCW department. Without the actual card as proof of being a prior CCW holder, it requires that you retake the course. The certificate will not suffice, at least not in summit county.

Thanks-
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

So... they have no way to look up their own records to confirm that you held a CHL? Or are they just too lazy/obstructive to do so?
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MYFELLOWAMERICANS wrote:I went ahead and called Summit County and spoke to their CCW department. Without the actual card as proof of being a prior CCW holder, it requires that you retake the course. The certificate will not suffice, at least not in summit county.
You don't have to renew in your county, you can renew in neighboring counties as well. Since you are in Summit county you could try calling Wayne county, they have shown themselves to be pretty accommodating in the past.

If it doesn't work out and you end up having to re-take the class, I'm teaching one up on October 17 in Canton.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MYFELLOWAMERICANS

I spoke with Deputy Munday, she said that even though I got my original license from them, they wouldn't look it up and would accept nothing other than the actual carry card as proof.

My wife and I are interested in a class.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WY_Not wrote:So... they have no way to look up their own records to confirm that you held a CHL? Or are they just too lazy/obstructive to do so?
Just going from posts on the subject here--can't think of a better source really--Summit County has been something of a problem child through the years.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MYFELLOWAMERICANS

so I just call the wayne county office and explain my situation or just show up?
BobK

Post by BobK »

Well, I will note that Summit County is complying with the statute language. The statute states the previous license serves as proof of competency.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

True, but if it is stolen they just take your info, look in their records, see that you have a CHL, and print a new one. They don't make you take the class again and file a new form.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

^^^^ Strong point.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

BobK wrote:Well, I will note that Summit County is complying with the statute language. The statute states the previous license serves as proof of competency.
I think Summit County is complying with old pre HB 495 statute language. HB 495 removed the need for recertification and struck the language about a previously issued license being prima facie evidence of certification.

I don't see any current language that requires a previous licensed individual to provide their current or expired license for a renewal. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems to me the sheriff is making his own rules.

Current language
2923.125(F)(1)

(a) Except as provided in division (F)(1)(b) of this section, a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county, or in the case of a applicant who resides in another state with the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.

(b) A person on active duty in the armed forces of the United States or in service with the peace corps, volunteers in service to America, or the foreign service of the United States is exempt from the license requirements of this section for the period of the person's active duty or service and for six months thereafter, provided the person was a licensee under this section at the time the person commenced the person's active duty or service or had obtained a license while on active duty or service. The spouse or a dependent of any such person on active duty or in service also is exempt from the license requirements of this section for the period of the person's active duty or service and for six months thereafter, provided the spouse or dependent was a licensee under this section at the time the person commenced the active duty or service or had obtained a license while the person was on active duty or service, and provided further that the person's active duty or service resulted in the spouse or dependent relocating outside of this state during the period of the active duty or service. This division does not prevent such a person or the person's spouse or dependent from making an application for the renewal of a concealed handgun license during the period of the person's active duty or service.

(2) A sheriff shall accept a completed renewal application, the license renewal fee, and the information specified in division (F)(1) of this section at the times and in the manners described in division (I) of this section. Upon receipt of a completed renewal application, of certification that the applicant has reread the specified pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission, and of a license renewal fee unless the fee is waived, a sheriff, in the manner specified in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct or cause to be conducted the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code. The sheriff shall renew the license if the sheriff determines that the applicant continues to satisfy the requirements described in division (D)(1) of this section, except that the applicant is not required to meet the requirements of division (D)(1)(l) of this section. A renewed license shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A renewed license is subject to division (E) of this section and sections 2923.126 and 2923.128 of the Revised Code. A sheriff shall comply with divisions (D)(2) and (3) of this section when the circumstances described in those divisions apply to a requested license renewal. If a sheriff denies the renewal of a concealed handgun license, the applicant may appeal the denial, or challenge the criminal record check results that were the basis of the denial if applicable, in the same manner as specified in division (D)(2)(b) of this section and in section 2923.127 of the Revised Code, regarding the denial of a license under this section.

(3) A renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section shall only require the licensee to list on the application form information and matters occurring since the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section. A sheriff conducting the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct the check only from the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section through the date of the renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section.

(4) An applicant for a renewal concealed handgun license under this section shall submit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides, or in the case of an applicant who resides in another state to the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license, a nonrefundable license fee as described in either of the following:

(a) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for five or more years, a fee of fifty dollars;

(b) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for less than five years or who is not a resident of this state but who is employed in this state, a fee of fifty dollars plus the actual cost of having a background check performed by the federal bureau of investigation.

(5) The concealed handgun license of a licensee who is no longer a resident of this state or no longer employed in this state, as applicable, is valid until the date of expiration on the license, and the licensee is prohibited from renewing the concealed handgun license.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
MYFELLOWAMERICANS

I spoke to Wayne county. The Deputy there is AMAZINGLY helpful. She said, Had you gotten your original license here we would gladly look it up as proof of your previously held license..... I will be going there next time.
What did I learn? Don't let my license expire and don't be so quick to throw away things.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

+1 to Wayne County. I had a great experience there, as has everyone I've talked to who has gone there to get a license issued or renewed.

Summit County, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be at all interested in following the law. I hear way too many stories where they flat make up requirements and ignore plainly worded sections in Ohio Law.

You could always try pushing it with them so that you don't need to re-take the class, but I'm not sure how effective that will be. Ultimately, it all depends on how much time, energy (and possibly money, should you need / want to get a lawyer involved) you are willing to expend.
NRA Life Member