Summit County Application

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

.38 Super

Summit County Application

Post by .38 Super »

Hello all, I'm a new member and I must say lots of great information here. HB 234 made me eligible for CHL. 1994 marijuana MM. I know I could have hired an attorney for expungement, I also know I could have pursued it myself for $50.00. FYI, if you try it yourself it's a one time shot, no guarantees. If a lawyer finds out the Judge is a no instead of a go the pettition can be withdrawn and re-tried at a later date. I applied on Mon. June 15th, tomorrow will be day 42. I've received no pick-up phone call, no denial in the mail. I know I'm good to go, I just think it's crappy they're stringing me out to the 45 day max for something that happened 21 years ago. I'll get back with you all on Mon. or Wed.(day 44). I'd also like to add I'll certainly be renewing with Portage County. Really, who can afford to miss work twice? Thanks guys, Pat.
.38 Super

Re: Summit County Application

Post by .38 Super »

Today(42) I called the Summit County Jail and spoke with a very nice Deputy. She informed me that due to my criminal record physical files must be obtained. The Deputy said the record retrieval is 30 days behind. What surprised me today was when she said 45 days not including holidays or weekends. So for me that would put 45 on Aug. 18th(64 callender days)!! Is it just me or does that seem extreme? Any feedback or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pat.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

.38 Super wrote:Today(42) What surprised me today was when she said 45 days not including holidays or weekends. So for me that would put 45 on Aug. 18th(64 callender days)!! Is it just me or does that seem extreme?
I don't know about extreme, but it is wrong. The law says 45 days, and as I understand it, elsewhere in the ORC it says that unless the statute specifies otherwise, it is calendar days. Unfortunately, there are no teeth to the law requiring them to issue in 45 days so there isn't much you can do. The only comfort I can give you is that you aren't the only person to deal with this nonsense.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
.38 Super

Post by .38 Super »

Thanks for your input Shooter. Unfortunely patience is a virtue I do not posess.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

.38 Super wrote:Today(42) I called the Summit County Jail and spoke with a very nice Deputy. She informed me that due to my criminal record physical files must be obtained. The Deputy said the record retrieval is 30 days behind. What surprised me today was when she said 45 days not including holidays or weekends. So for me that would put 45 on Aug. 18th(64 callender days)!! Is it just me or does that seem extreme? Any feedback or experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Pat.

i really hate it when my first time talking to someone, they feel compelled to tell me a big fat lie. Sorry, I don't buy the idea that the Deputy doesn't know better about how the 45 day time frame works.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Summit County sucks. I tell all my students to go elsewhere. Lake County is 30 minutes or less. Portage County is a week or less. Geauga County is a week or less.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:Summit County sucks. I tell all my students to go elsewhere. Lake County is 30 minutes or less. Portage County is a week or less. Geauga County is a week or less.
Summit county is better than it used to be, I've had a couple of students who applied there (against my recommendations) who had theirs pretty quickly. Also, I'm not sure if the quick turnarounds you posted would apply to the OP - recall he has a criminal record. I don't know if Summit is lying when they say it requires a physical record retrieval or not, but I could still see it taking longer for him than the times you posted.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

JustaShooter wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:Summit County sucks. I tell all my students to go elsewhere. Lake County is 30 minutes or less. Portage County is a week or less. Geauga County is a week or less.
Summit county is better than it used to be, I've had a couple of students who applied there (against my recommendations) who had theirs pretty quickly. Also, I'm not sure if the quick turnarounds you posted would apply to the OP - recall he has a criminal record. I don't know if Summit is lying when they say it requires a physical record retrieval or not, but I could still see it taking longer for him than the times you posted.
I had a guy whose license was suspended for three years. Had to retake a class and reapply. He was in and out of Lake County in 25 minutes.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

.38 Super

Post by .38 Super »

Day 43 just finished listening to voice mail from Deputy Mundy, come on down and pick up your CHL. As I said in a previous post I'm not a patient person. Does anyone think it a coensidance that my pick-up call came the day after my whats taking so long call? Needless to say I'm very relieved and happy. Thanks for the the input guys.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Where will you go to renew? :P

.38 Super

Post by .38 Super »

Portage County, by appointment, with a self addressed stamped envelope, filled out application, 2<2 photo, $50.00 cash.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Interesting, Deputy Mundy processed my application in 2004. Her grandchild (picture on her desk) is probably in junior high by now.
My initial app, and renewal both took 15 days.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.