Did not need a passport photo when I renewed

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ole_grizzly
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Did not need a passport photo when I renewed

Post by Ole_grizzly »

Just to save other people 20 minutes at CVS and $15, the Geauga sheriff did not want the passport photo I brought with me today for my renewal. When I went to the sheriff's website, it said to fill out the application on the attorney general site, and that application has a place for a photo. Not sure if I missed any renewal instructions that stated I didn't need a photo, but thought if I could save other people the time and money I'd mention it here.
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too - the Repo man
Brian D.

Re: Did not need a passport photo when I renewed

Post by Brian D. »

Counties do things differently from each other. Also, we've found that what a particular county does today, may not be true down the road a year or two.

It was good of you to share your experience with us in any event.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

My wife didn't need a photo either, neither did her brother..They took the pic at the Warren co sheriff's office.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
Ole_grizzly
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ole_grizzly »

I got a call from the sheriff and my renewal was available yesterday, two days total. Couldn't have been more pleasant.
What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine too - the Repo man
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Delaware told me that the photo wasn't required but appreciated and took mine to update my file.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Ole_grizzly wrote:Just to save other people 20 minutes at CVS and $15, the Geauga sheriff did not want the passport photo I brought with me today for my renewal. When I went to the sheriff's website, it said to fill out the application on the attorney general site, and that application has a place for a photo. Not sure if I missed any renewal instructions that stated I didn't need a photo, but thought if I could save other people the time and money I'd mention it here.
First, Ole_grizzly, thank you for this old post/thread of yours. It saved me a bit of money as well as the even more precious time in getting what would have been un-necessary photos.

Indeed, the Geauga Sheriff's website now clearly reads that for renewals which originated in Geauga County, the photo is not necessary. The Deputy will take a new picture at the time of the renewal interview to update their records, but the passport photo(s) is(are) no longer necessary as long as the original application was in Geauga.

I didn't want to necro this post/thread at-first, but I thought I'd let any potential Geauga applicants - renewal or new - know:

Get to the station as early as you can, particularly on Saturdays. I originally drove in last Saturday, arriving at 8:30 AM (I ran a half-hour late because I took the little one with me), the wait was then already 2+ hours. There's no TV, no free WiFi, but there's plenty of reading material for kids, a public restroom, and both a water fountain and vending machine. Not an entirely uncomfortable place to wait it out.

My daughter was actually looking forward to waiting (she loves to read, and seeing "The Little Free Library" just made her morning), but I had a back-end of 11 AM, so I chose not to stay. Before leaving, I asked the Deputy about what the wait is like during the week. She reported that it's been very, very hectic since October, and that even for weekdays, her advice was to arrive as early as possible. I again made the drive this past Tuesday - with her advice in-mind - and at 7:30 AM was the first applicant, with the next two applicants trailing me by barely 5 minutes, each. The Deputy started about 20 minutes early, and by the time I exited, there was yet another applicant out in the waiting room.

They're still as efficient, professional, and friendly as I remember them from 5 years ago, but they're popular!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

More and more counties seem to be leaning towards not requiring a photo from the applicant. They'll just take one themselves.

This is probably due to the space on the application just saying "Applicant Photo" and not specifying what part of the body the applicant should photograph.

:twisted: :mrgreen: :roll:
MyWifeSaidYes
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: This is probably due to the space on the application just saying "Applicant Photo" and not specifying what part of the body the applicant should photograph.

:lol: :lol:

It's like the question for "Gender."

That used to be "Sex" until everyone just started answering "Yes!" :P
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:More and more counties seem to be leaning towards not requiring a photo from the applicant. They'll just take one themselves.

This is probably due to the space on the application just saying "Applicant Photo" and not specifying what part of the body the applicant should photograph.

The original intent of the applicant supplied photo was to verify that the person picking up the License was the same one that submitted the application and for background check. Never was it meant to be put on the License.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Now that's a nice bit of trivia for me! I didn't know that!

Thanks. :)
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Cruiser wrote:The original intent of the applicant supplied photo was to verify that the person picking up the License was the same one that submitted the application and for background check. Never was it meant to be put on the License.
If so, that makes no sense. Just look at the picture you took in the office when the person applied. You know, the one on the license? And what about counties like Cuyahoga where you only go once because they mail you the license? If I was going to pose as someone else when I turned an application in, I'd bring a photo of myself to apply.

Sounds about as strong a security measure as requiring a signature to use a credit card.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Wait, that's -NOT- your picture in your Avatar?

:P
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

djthomas wrote:
Cruiser wrote:The original intent of the applicant supplied photo was to verify that the person picking up the License was the same one that submitted the application and for background check. Never was it meant to be put on the License.
If so, that makes no sense. Just look at the picture you took in the office when the person applied. You know, the one on the license? And what about counties like Cuyahoga where you only go once because they mail you the license? If I was going to pose as someone else when I turned an application in, I'd bring a photo of myself to apply.

Sounds about as strong a security measure as requiring a signature to use a credit card.
Back in 2004 they weren't taking pictures when you applied.
At least not in Summit county.
If you passed the background checks you were called back in and at that time Deputy Munday would take your picture and print out your license.
The photo was to insure that the person that applied was the same person that came to pick up the license and was photographed for it.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

In Cuyahoga they absolutely did take your picture when you applied, because your next interaction with them would be courtesy of the USPS ;)

Gotta love the inconsistencies in what's supposed to be a state-wide process.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

AlanM wrote:
djthomas wrote:

Back in 2004 they weren't taking pictures when you applied.
At least not in Summit county.
If you passed the background checks you were called back in and at that time Deputy Munday would take your picture and print out your license.
The photo was to insure that the person that applied was the same person that came to pick up the license and was photographed for it.
Thanks Alan, I am of the 2004 era and I did say "original intent".
Abandon ye all HOPE!