When Can I apply

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tacticalpanda

When Can I apply

Post by tacticalpanda »

I'm taking my CHL classes on April 18th. I recently moved to Ohio but have not switched over my residency as I just purchased a house (we close on april 27th) and I still own my home in MA and am splitting time there so I can keep my MA LTC and carry here. So i'm trying to delay the time from becoming an Ohio resident (which means I give up my MA LTC) and getting my Ohio CHL.

My question is when can I apply for the CHL? I've read that the 45 day residency requirement is gone, but all of the FAQ's I've read seem to still have this listed. Once we move into our house I plan on switching over my MA license to OH, can I apply the day I get my Ohio license and have completed my class? Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find anything.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: When Can I apply

Post by Stryker74 »

Assuming you are currently employed in Ohio, you can legally apply after taking your class. We now have non-resident licenses for those employed in Ohio.

I can't find anything about converting to a resident license when you establish residency - but someone else may chime in.

Resident or non-resident - it will incur the extra background check fee in either case for this first time. However, consider the license renewal and the date you establish residency in Ohio - you could face the increased fee if you have not been an Ohio resident for a full 5 years by the time you renew. Just an FYI.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JediSkipdogg

Re: When Can I apply

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Stryker74 wrote:I can't find anything about converting to a resident license when you establish residency - but someone else may chime in.
That's because there is nothing to find. Besides what you use to apply there is no difference in the license. A resident application requires proof of Ohio residency. A non-resident employment application requires proof of Ohio employment. After that, nothing is different between the two.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.