online ccw class?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

lucky43113

online ccw class?

Post by lucky43113 »

The news was saying you can now take the ccw class online all but the live fire part anyone else hear this and have any more info on it
BobK

Re: online ccw class?

Post by BobK »

I see it is your first post, so WELCOME!

Yes, the new bill that went into effect yesterday authorizes online training so long as it meets certain requirements.
[url=http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125]RC 2923.125[/url](G)(3)(a) wrote: Except as otherwise provided in this division, the training specified in division (G)(1)(a) of this section shall be provided to the person receiving the training in person by an instructor. If the training specified in division (G)(1)(a) of this section is provided by a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(a) of this section, or it is provided by a course, class, or program described in division (B)(3)(b), (c), or (e) of this section and the instructor is a qualified instructor certified by a national gun advocacy organization, the training so specified, other than the training that requires the person receiving the training to demonstrate handling abilities, may be provided online or as a combination of in-person and online training, as long as the online training includes an interactive component that regularly engages the person.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

To add to what BobK posted, I do not know of any online courses for Ohio yet, but the NRA is planning on introducing such a course later this year. You would take the "classroom" portion on your computer, then meet with an NRA certified instructor for the range and live fire portion of the class.

The tricky part is, I'm hearing from most NRA instructors that they will not be accepting an online classroom portion and will produce their own classes instead of using the NRA class after the switch. I and my partner plan on doing that as well for a number of reasons. I'm sure there will be those who do continue to use the NRA class including the online portion, but right now it doesn't seem like very many will.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

I have seen one instructor in the Columbus area offer an online class already. I am tempted to sign up just so I can see what the online class is like.

I think that online classes are beneficial in some circumstances - I use them all the time for compliance training at contracts I work on. I also used a couple of the NRA's online resources for my Range Safety Officer and RTBAV instructor training. But, I am an honest guy - I am the actual person who sat down to the online courses and completed all coursework and testing. Even if I wasn't - there is no real legal (criminal) implications if I had my wife complete the coursework under my login credentials...

But, there are potential legal pitfalls to using an online section for the purposes of obtaining a legal license in Ohio. As an instructor, you are signing a document that states that you certify that John Doe was delivered all the content required by law and that Mr. Doe passed the tests required by law. Unless I have John Doe in my class (yes, I check a government ID with a picture) - I cannot be certain that John performed the classwork and test instead of his wife Jane.

So, my classes will continue to be in person. Maybe I lose some students that way, but I also don't wind up signing off on someone that might have cheated. That has legal implications on me as the instructor.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/geta ... DF%29.aspx

A really good PDF explaing the new laws.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Exactly, Aaron. You echo my concerns as well. Not to mention, the classroom interaction is very important to learning in my opinion. Many details get brought out that wouldn't otherwise get covered.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
mreising

Post by mreising »

In addition, in a classroom setting, if one person asks a question, everyone hears the answer which may clear up questions the others had. I have taken online training and I have developed online training for clients and I much prefer in-person training if the goal is to actually impart knowledge. Online training can help but mostly it just "checks a box" in my opinion and experience.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
rexles

Post by rexles »

Estimates from a email I got from the NRA is the online courses will be available in April.
Not crazy about it at all.
I gauge a students abilities on safe gun handling in the class room while watching them during exercises with dummy rounds and dry fire. This allows me on the range to be more diligent with those I see as needing more time on certain things. This will be impossible to know when someone comes with a certificate from some online instructor. How is a student going to inter-act with the cyber instructor?
Are other online courses going to be accepted or just the one from NRA?
Lots of unanswered questions.
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

rexles wrote:Estimates from a email I got from the NRA is the online courses will be available in April.
Not crazy about it at all.
I gauge a students abilities on safe gun handling in the class room while watching them during exercises with dummy rounds and dry fire. This allows me on the range to be more diligent with those I see as needing more time on certain things. This will be impossible to know when someone comes with a certificate from some online instructor. How is a student going to inter-act with the cyber instructor?
Are other online courses going to be accepted or just the one from NRA?
Lots of unanswered questions.
The instructor doing the range portion must be certified by a national gun advocacy organization. The online can be anything and can even be something I create. I would think instructors that want to shortcut it may get caught a little easier by local sheriff's as it's pretty easy to do a class online in a day and find the bad ones to go after. Whereas an in person classroom takes quite a bit for an undercover officer to fully go through.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.