Changed county and notified...now I question it...

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Nighthawk

Changed county and notified...now I question it...

Post by Nighthawk »

So I had moved to an adjoining county awhile back, called local sheriff dept and tried to notify them, they told me nothing required, did t ask my name, etc. they did say I could pay to update my license, but no need.
So, now I've been skimming some threads once again I see some older ones where not notifying within an allotted time has caused issues and or issues when renewal time comes along.
Any words of advice how to proceed?
Perhaps send certified letter stating my change of residency and forgo a specific date?
Thanks for help
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8
djthomas

Re: Changed county and notified...now I question it...

Post by djthomas »

You're good. I moved and sent a letter as they requested. They apparently neglected to update my record because the lady sort of challenged me when I renewed from my new address a few years later. That conversation quickly ended when I confirmed that yes I had notified. I remarked "but even if I hadn't it's not a problem" and she admitted that was so.

If you feel like gaining some peace of mind for the $7 it will cost you to send a certified letter then knock yourself out, but don't expect any kind of acknowledgement ... and they still might not update your record. :lol: If I were in your shoes and someone challenged me later I'd say I called and spoke to some deputy about it ... no I don't remember the contents of that conversation exactly but they did say no further action was required.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Nighthawk wrote: I see some older ones where not notifying within an allotted time has caused issues and or issues when renewal time comes along.
What's the allotted time?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Thanks DJ, but what do you mean that it wouldn't matter anyways?
I admit, I have been negligent on recent changes to the law due to life events the past year, but my understanding was that one needs to notify the new county within 45 days, some also specify 30 from what I read on old threads. Again, I have no direct knowledge of that info.
So, when renewal comes up and if they happen to inquire why I didn't change the info/update, wouldn't it be my word against their opinion?
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

After rereadin existing law, I now see that supposed to notify the county that ISSUED it to begin with.
How to proceed?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

Nighthawk wrote:Thanks DJ, but what do you mean that it wouldn't matter anyways? ...So, when renewal comes up and if they happen to inquire why I didn't change the info/update, wouldn't it be my word against their opinion?
There is absolutely no penalty for failing to notify the sheriff of a change of address. They can't arrest you, suspend/revoke your license, charge you extra, or refuse to process your renewal. About the worst they could do would be to tattle to your mom.* ;)

And you are correct that you are supposed to notify the issuing sheriff and within 30 days. Now I'm all about trying to do the right thing, so if you haven't notified the issuing sheriff I'd suggest doing so, but don't lose any sleep over the formalities.

* Technically they probably can't even do that.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Nighthawk wrote:After rereadin existing law, I now see that supposed to notify the county that ISSUED it to begin with.
How to proceed?
Per 2923.126, you have 45 days after a change of address to notify the issuing Sheriff of that change. However...there is no penalty for failing to notify. Most of the other threads on this topic (that I've seen) discuss this disparity.

If you wish, send a letter to the issuing Sheriff notifying them of the new address. If you're feeling particularly concerned, send it certified. Whether they respond or not, I'd say that covers you.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Thanks for the reassurance...I will notify them tomorrow via phone. I am way paat the 30 days at this point. I'll simply give them my info, what now worries me is if they ask the actual date. I plan to obviously be honest and admit this error.
Seem correct?
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I moved recently (to Morrow) and notified the county of issue (Delaware) in person. The CCW lady just updated my information in the computer while I was with her, told me all was good, and I could have a new CCW issued if I wanted to pay for the card but it wasn't necessary and I could just wait until expiration.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

evan price wrote:I moved recently (to Morrow)...
Well, did you move already, or are you procrastinating a day at a time? :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BobK

Post by BobK »

sodbuster95 wrote:
Nighthawk wrote:After rereadin existing law, I now see that supposed to notify the county that ISSUED it to begin with.
How to proceed?
Per 2923.126, you have 45 days after a change of address to notify the issuing Sheriff of that change. However...there is no penalty for failing to notify. Most of the other threads on this topic (that I've seen) discuss this disparity.
Yep, I've never notified Franklin County Sheriff of my new Texas address because I did not want them to improperly revoke my Ohio CHL. Maybe I'll send them a letter on March 24th. :twisted: (When HB 234 takes effect on March 23rd, it makes it explicit that a CHL remains valid until expired for licensees that move out of state.)
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Made the call, updated, no problems.
Though I know it would have been fine, peace of mind is nice.
Thanks for the feedback my friends.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Brian D. wrote:
Don't you know that to Morrow never comes?
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

evan price wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEilPR1PXko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

evan price wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
::groan::

:lol:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.