Can I renew or do I need to start over

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bm0509

Can I renew or do I need to start over

Post by bm0509 »

Hey all. It's been a while since I've posted. Last year I moved to PA (got my PA ccw while there). I contacted the ohio (stark county) sheriff about the move and they said my license would remain valid until it expired. It expired naturally in early June of this year. I moved back to Ohio in July. The way I understand it, my original training certificate is good for 6 years to allow it to cover the first renewal. My question is, can I renew now (even though expired) or do I need to go through a training class again? Thanks in advance for the responses.
BobK

Re: Can I renew or do I need to start over

Post by BobK »

Renew. There is no time limit after expiration where you would have to apply as new instead of renewing.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Just a reminder though - you established residency outside of Ohio for a period of time. Since it has not been 5 years since you returned to Ohio, you will have to go through the FBI check which is an increased cost.

Also, we don't have the 6 year clause on the training any longer. The only time limit is that you get your initial license within 3 years of the training certificate. After that, there is no more renewal training required - having an Ohio CHL even an expired one) proves that you completed the training requirements.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

What FBI check?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

R.C. 2923.125(F)(4)(b) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for less than five years, a fee of fifty dollars plus the actual cost of having a background check performed by the federal bureau of investigation
MyWifeSaidYes
bm0509

Post by bm0509 »

Thanks for the replies.

So no retraining required, ever?
BobK

Post by BobK »

bm0509 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Basically correct.

Unless you have your license revoked or if you do not have your previous license.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BobK wrote:
bm0509 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Basically correct.

Unless you have your license revoked or if you do not have your previous license.
There's no requirement to physically have your previous license.
MyWifeSaidYes
BobK

Post by BobK »

Duh, minor brain meltdown.

Milkman

Post by Milkman »

Hey all, I had my chl back in 2006 and never renewed it like the op. I am wanting to renew it now. I do not have my old chl and I also do not have the original certificate from my training back in 2006. Will I need to redo my training so I have the paper to prove it. I also have not left Ohio. It was originally from Richland county But I'm now in Franklin county.
Thanks.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Milkman wrote:Hey all, I had my chl back in 2006 and never renewed it like the op. I am wanting to renew it now. I do not have my old chl and I also do not have the original certificate from my training back in 2006. Will I need to redo my training so I have the paper to prove it. I also have not left Ohio. It was originally from Richland county But I'm now in Franklin county.
Thanks.
Two posts above yours states that you don't have to have the physical license.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

Thanks for the quick reply. I seen that part. I was asking about the training certificate. Do I need to get a new one since I don't have the original.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Milkman wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I seen that part. I was asking about the training certificate. Do I need to get a new one since I don't have the original.
No, it's an either or type thing. If you know who your instructor was, you may be able to get him/her to print you another one.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I would suggest calling a CHL office (I hear Delaware county is pretty friendly and easy going) and telling them you used to have a CHL, want to renew but can't find your old license.

If your name shows up as having an EXPIRED CHL, that's all they should need to process your renewal.
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I would suggest calling a CHL office (I hear Delaware county is pretty friendly and easy going) and telling them you used to have a CHL, want to renew but can't find your old license.

If your name shows up as having an EXPIRED CHL, that's all they should need to process your renewal.
Which, I think it should. I've seen some pretty old expired CHLs in LEADS, which kind of surprises me as they like to purge stuff out pretty quickly.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.