Where can I find a "current" application form?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Where can I find a "current" application form?

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The CHL application form on the AG web site is not up to date with R.C. 2923.1210.

It even says "2011 Concealed Carry Application" on the AG site, but the form should have been updated on 3/2013 (HB 495).

I've tried several sheriff's web sites, and they either have the old form or send me to the AG site.

Any ideas on where I can find the "current" form?
MyWifeSaidYes
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Where can I find a "current" application form?

Post by rickt »

I would contact the AG's office.

Looking at HB 495, it looks like the changes were simply a change of the phrase "license to carry a concealed handgun" to "concealed handgun license". Nothing really substantive.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Hmm. I guess I'm bothered by the fact that the question numbers don't match up almost as much as the other minor "tweaks".

The AG's office says, "After reviewing the application that is currently on our website, it has been determined that it is the most up-to-date, current application. That is the application that you will want to use when apply for your concealed carry permit."

Differences from the available application to the application listed in R.C. 2923.1210:

Q's 1,2 & 3 combined into Q 1a & 1b

Q's 4 & 5 changed to Q's 2 & 3

Q 6 regarding "federal law" is removed

Q 7 changed to Q 4

Q's 8a & 8b combined into Q 5

Q 9 & the confusing and redundant Q 10 combined into Q 6. Removed the term "domestic violence". More clearly states 3-year limit on misdemeanor assault.

Q 11 changed to Q 7

Q 12(a,b,c) changed to Q 8(a,b,c)

Q 13(a,b,c,d) changed/combined into Q 9(a,b)

Q 14 regarding "being drug dependent or chronic alcoholic" is removed

Q's 15 & 16 changed to Q's 10 & 11

Q's 17 & 18 regarding "military station orders" are removed

I had a student with a misdemeanor assault charge from the 90's. On the available application, questions 9 and 10 BOTH ask about "offense of violence" but question 9 has no exception for a time limit. The application in R.C. 2923.1210 fixes that redundancy.
MyWifeSaidYes
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

pm sent.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
BobK

Post by BobK »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I had a student with a misdemeanor assault charge from the 90's. On the available application, questions 9 and 10 BOTH ask about "offense of violence" but question 9 has no exception for a time limit. The application in R.C. 2923.1210 fixes that redundancy.
I've suggested people hand write "non-disqualifying misdemeanor older than three years" as the answer to that question.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

BobK wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I had a student with a misdemeanor assault charge from the 90's. On the available application, questions 9 and 10 BOTH ask about "offense of violence" but question 9 has no exception for a time limit. The application in R.C. 2923.1210 fixes that redundancy.
I've suggested people hand write "non-disqualifying misdemeanor older than three years" as the answer to that question.
A good idea.

I had the student print out R.C. 2923.1210, take it with him to his CHL appointment and ask them what they wanted him to do.

He went to Delaware and they told him that they go by the updated law.

I didn't find out how they had him fill out the actual application.
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

You should be able to go to your county sheriff and get up to date copies of the AG handbook for your classes and they have the application in them.
Just tell them you are an instructor and they should give you as many as you need
That's what I do

The AG's guy at the PITP told me to let him know if there is a sheriff who won't.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)