PA Non Res to EXPIRE ...?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

PA Non Res to EXPIRE ...?

Post by gaptrick »

I'm up for renewal for my PA in a couple weeks. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this matters a hill of beans, right?

I won't be making it over there in time to get my renewal before my current one is up, but my thinking is I can just go and re apply as a non res again just like the first time... Right?
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: PA Non Res to EXPIRE ...?

Post by JustaShooter »

I don't know for sure, but it seems like worst-case you might have to apply as if it were a new license, which just means they might have to mail it to you instead of handing it to you on your way out the door. Might be worth a call to the Sheriff's office that issued your license to check.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

gaptrick:

PA now requires "in person" application - no more mail in. They seem to take your picture (and maybe a print? - didn't do it with me in May). I drove to Lawrence County (New Castle) and they treated me as a new applicant (about a two week wait). (They also actually called my references - which must be in the same County.) Turned up in the mail more or less when promised.

I'm told that if you re-up at the same County that you started with you'll get it in a few minutes but I'd not count on that.

Regards
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

My PA license expires next March but I filled out the app this week and made out the $20 check. My son is running cross country in Slippery Rock PA next weekend (he is wearing extra good shoes so he doesn't fall... :wink: ) so I will swing by their office on the way in. I checked on the website and they have Saturday morning hours.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
mreising

Post by mreising »

My son's Centre County issued license expired while he was on deployment. He renewed in person, in Centre County, more than 6 months later and it was issued on the spot. Took all of 15 minutes. In his case, he was traveling through the county on his way back to Groton so it wasn't much out of the way. I recently stopped in at the Centre County Sheriff's office and renewed my unexpired license in person so I could get the card with the picture and they extended the expiration date from the renewal date, so I got the extra time. I was told by the clerk that I will be able to update my PA license by mail once I move and have changed my OH DL and CHL to reflect my new address next year. They will just print a new one with the on file picture; I'm not sure that this will apply for renewals.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mark:

The "when you move" technique may vary, depending on whether the neighbors found their torches and pitchforks, or you actually wanted to move :D....

Seriously, $5 and a note would cover the moves before the "in person" deal. No reason to change that, but who knows? In my case, about five years ago, I didn't know about the $5. They sent me the new license and a polite note about the money. Thought about FedEx :D....

When I renewed back in May, though, I went to Lawrence County, and they treated it like a new app. About 20 days, and I had to provide "local" references. I knew about the latter, and primed the "victims" ahead of time....

Somebody suggested Meadville (Crawford County?), but since I had the references, and New Castle is practically in my back yard, they got the $20. The courthouse is a little tricky to find, too, but not too terrible. I found a good parking space, too. Gotta be some Karmic problem there waiting to bite me....

Other than a bit more grey in my beard, I look enough like my 2004 OH photo to have used it to renew both OH and PA, but.... The guy who took my picture in 2004 is out of business, too. I don't remember what I did in 2008 - I think Wallgreens.... Becka took the 2012 picture.

(She also returned the camera. That was a bit of a surprise :D....)

(Nah - the camera still works. She's got an iPhone, and most of the time, that's good enough.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם