Reguarding Residency Requirement

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

anthonyorr

Re: Reguarding Residency Requirement

Post by anthonyorr »

sodbuster95 wrote:I thought I responded to this, but I guess not...

Anyway, if you were a resident of Ohio when you joined, then you are still a resident of Ohio. This assumes no breaks in service where you resided outside the state and that you did not change your residency while a member of the armed forces. The easiest "informal" test is whether or not you filed Ohio income tax returns while you were (are) on active duty.

To answer your question yes I did pay/file Ohio Income tax the entire time that I have been in the military.

Anthony
anthonyorr

Post by anthonyorr »

Just figured I would let everyone know, I got a response from the Sheriff's office and even though I haven't been in the state for over 11 years that I am still an Ohio resident. Thank you for all the replies and help with this.

Anthony
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Thanks sod and makes a lot of sense. One followup though, you say obtaining a driver's license can be a change of residency, but it's not a guarantee? Am I reading that correctly. So even if one says obtains a license in North Carolina, they can still be considered an Ohio resident? Their "being in the military" can override all other thoughts when it comes to determining true residency?
Well, "guarantee" is perhaps the wrong characterization. Basically, this will come down to what the Service Member wants the outcome to be. For example, if the SM wants to stay a resident of Ohio, but obtained a N. Carolina driver's license while stationed at Ft. Bragg, then they would say that such an act did not constitute evidence of their intent to change their state of legal residency. In contrast, if Ohio wanted to assert some sort of control over the SM while they were outside the state, they might reply that obtaining a N.C. driver's license was evidence of their intent to change their state of legal residency. That would likely not be enough, but it would be a start. The best way for an S.M. to change their state of legal residency is to start filing (and paying) taxes in the new state along with some other measure such as registering to vote, etc.

To understand this particular provision of the SCRA, you have to go back in history and see why it was enacted. In essence, certain states with large military populations were attempting to assert taxing and other powers over active duty members on the basis that their presence (and domicile) gave them the authority. For example, a citizen of Texas (or any other state without personal income tax) would not want to have to pay Ohio taxes simply because they were stationed here. Obviously, the service members argued that they should not be forced into citizenship of a "foreign" state simply by virtue of military orders. As such, the Feds stepped in and so now we have this additional protection. Ultimately, it's better characterized as a protection, and not a guarantee or additional "right".
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

anthonyorr wrote:Just figured I would let everyone know, I got a response from the Sheriff's office and even though I haven't been in the state for over 11 years that I am still an Ohio resident. Thank you for all the replies and help with this.

Anthony
Glad to hear it went well for you.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Sod, thank you for the lesson. Now, lets talk about the Civil War, whatcha got on that topic? LOL
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.