Best Non-resident permits

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wldrnssman

Best Non-resident permits

Post by wldrnssman »

What are the easiest and most complimentary non-resident permits to obtain? My New Hampshire and Pennsylvania permits are expired. New Hampshire is still relatively easy to obtain so I will probably renew that one, but Pennsylvania now requires you to apply in person. I live in SW Ohio, so that is a long drive for just a couple of minutes.
BobK

Re: Best Non-resident permits

Post by BobK »

I see you it is your first post, so WELCOME.

TX gets you 4 states (Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia).
Requires taking a 4 hour Texas training class in Texas. Great excuse to visit the Lone Star State! This is not the route that most people choose, but I had to mention it! 8)

PA gets you 4 states (Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia).
Requires a personal visit to cooperating PA Sheriff. License is cheap! Note that PA no longer honors non-resident licenses from AZ, UT, FL, and VA.

AZ gets you 3 states (Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia).
100% online and mail. License more expensive than UT.

UT gets you 3 states (Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia).
Requires taking UT training in Ohio, but then renewals are only $15. Comparing cost to AZ, you reach breakeven at second renewal.

VA gets you 2 states (Texas, Wisconsin).

FL gets you 2 states (Texas, Georgia).

Lots of info at http://handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Look at "Create License Map" link. Personally, I chose to get the UT and PA licenses, but the AZ is also a good choice.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

Welcome aboard. I have a PA non res from Erie County PA, it was a 4 hour round trip to get it but,it's cheap and I think it's the only way to carry in PA which is important to me as we have family there and like to visit the state in general.
-Aaron
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

BobK wrote:
TX gets you 4 states (Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, Georgia).
Requires taking a 4 hour Texas training class in Texas. Great excuse to visit the Lone Star State! This is not the route that most people choose, but I had to mention it! 8)
I sense a little bias! :lol:
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

These days the most popular option seems to be PA - especially if you plan on visiting PA occasionally it probably just makes sense because their AG is slowly but surely eliminating PA recognition of non-resident permits from other states.

The way I looked at it, I could pay someone for a class (UT at the time since back then PA recognized UT non-resident) or go through the hassle and expense of AZ (again, their non-resident was recognized by PA at the time) or I could make the trip to PA and enjoy myself while I was at it. Kind of glad I did now that PA started dropping recognition of non-resident licenses from other states.

Anyway, if you choose that route, be sure to take note of the admonition to visit a cooperating PA Sheriff - many do not issue to non-residents, and others require the two references on the application to be PA or even same-county residents. The closest counties to the OH - PA border that issue to non-residents without a residency requirement for the references are Crawford County (Sheriff office in Meadville), Erie County (Erie) and Butler County (Butler).

Since NH (currently) gives you PA and GA on top of those states that recognize OH, that may be enough for you. PA would just add TX and WI, which may not be important to you. On the other hand, if either of those are important and NH really isn't, then you wouldn't gain anything by adding NH to PA...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Ray

Post by Ray »

wldrnssman wrote:What are the easiest and most complimentary non-resident permits to obtain? My New Hampshire and Pennsylvania permits are expired. New Hampshire is still relatively easy to obtain so I will probably renew that one, but Pennsylvania now requires you to apply in person. I live in SW Ohio, so that is a long drive for just a couple of minutes.
Welcome to the forums..................

I also live in SW Ohio....... It's about a ten hour round trip to Butler Co., Pa. We (wife & I) will be going real soon to get our renewals in Butler Co., Pa.................... Not that bad every five yrs. & the cost is cheap only $20.00.............

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member