Issued in one county, renewing in another

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Issued in one county, renewing in another

Post by WY_Not »

Was originally issued my CHL in Medina Co. and have renewed there once already. Have since moved (yes Medina Co. Sheriff was notified). CHL is due for renewal in a few months and started looking at the Miami Co. Sheriff's website and they are claiming that a copy of my training certificate is needed. How and why? I could very well be missing something but ORC 2923.125 (F) (1) says only that an application for renewal, a certification by me that I have reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commision, and renewal fee be submitted. It makes no mention of any additional requirements if you are renewing in a different county. So, just curious if he is pulling this additional requirement out of his butt. Seems a bit of overreach to make up requirements for documentation above and beyond what ORC defines as required.

Also, it is a pain to dig out the certificate as it is filed away and has not been unpacked yet after the move.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Issued in one county, renewing in another

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:I could very well be missing something but ORC 2923.125 (F) (1) says only that an application for renewal, a certification by me that I have reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commision, and renewal fee be submitted. It makes no mention of any additional requirements if you are renewing in a different county.
You aren't missing anything, that's how it is supposed to work.
WY_Not wrote:So, just curious if he is pulling this additional requirement out of his butt.
Well, the ORC has changed - you used to have to do that for your 2nd renewal as I understand it, but no longer. It is possible they just haven't updated their website. I'd call them and see what they say, then reference the ORC change if they say it is still required.
WY_Not wrote:Seems a bit of overreach to make up requirements for documentation above and beyond what ORC defines as required.
It would be - and they cannot legally do that. If they actually do require anything beyond what the ORC says, your choices are to comply and renew in that county, use a neighboring county, or try to get them to change their policy.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Sounds like a phone call is in order then. And since I have a few months, I'll put some effort into pushing the issue. Really don't want to go to downtown Dayton to renew with Montgomery Co. but at least they have enough common sense to say that your current CHL is prima facia evidence of having a certificate. Clark, Champagn, and Darke are just to far out of the way. Shelby I wouldn't trust with my info if you paid me.

They aren't saying it is required for all renewals or for your 2nd renewal. So, it is not that it is out of date. The website says that the certificate is required if renewing in Miami and your issuing county was elsewhere. If issuing was Miami and renewing, no certificate required.

A pity they can't all be as friendly, courteous, and professional as Medina County here in Ohio and Centre County over in PA.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:They aren't saying it is required for all renewals or for your 2nd renewal. So, it is not that it is out of date. The website says that the certificate is required if renewing in Miami and your issuing county was elsewhere. If issuing was Miami and renewing, no certificate required.
Yeah, that's a different matter entirely. I don't see where the ORC allows that. Good luck with your efforts - and if you have troubles or questions be sure to post back, there are several very helpful folks here that might be able to lend a hand.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Tell your Sheriff's CHL officer that R.C. 2923.125 B only applies to original applications, regardless of the adjacent county where the license was issued.

Then tell them that R.C. 2923.125 F is the section that applies to renewal licenses and does NOT require a competency certificate, even for a first renewal.

HB 495 is what changed that law and it took effect in March of 2013, so the Sheriff is a bit behind the times.

The FACT that it is a renewal, implies that you have a CHL. The fact that you HAVE a CHL implies that you had a competency certificate.

There is NO authorization for a Sheriff to require anything not specified in the Revised Code.

From experience, I know if you push an issue with the Franklin County Sheriff's CHL office, they send it to the county prosecutor for review.

If the county prosecutor still has questions, they can contact the AG's office.
MyWifeSaidYes
xxxamishxxx

Post by xxxamishxxx »

I got mine in Jefferson county and just did my renewal in Franklin. They treat it like a new applicant but charge renewal price.. All i had to do was show them my CHL from jefferson.. Got the call in 24 hrs it was ready. very easy except trying to find a decent parking spot not miles away.
Accurate Concepts Training, LLC
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Punishers Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club
Ray

Post by Ray »

To the OP............ You won't have any problems in Miami Co. getting you CHL renewal done there............ They're quite friendly...

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member