Summit County Time Frame

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

royce79

Summit County Time Frame

Post by royce79 »

I applied for my initial CHL on 4.9.14 and I did not get a call to pick up my permit yet.

Does anybody know how long they are taking at Summit County currently?

Thanks.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
mreising

Re: Summit County Time Frame

Post by mreising »

First, welcome to the forums. Please consider adding a general location to your profile as it sometimes helps when you have other questions. A quick review of some recent postings seem to be variable as far as wait times. One recent person reported 8 days while another had five weeks. Your time, so far, does not seem overly long as many counties take 2-3 weeks to issue a license. There are sometimes other factors such as whether someone has been a resident of the state for less than 5 years, or they have a common name that may make the background check a little more difficult.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
polizi212

Post by polizi212 »

I experienced a 20 day wait for mine but that included Christmas and New Year in there as well! Hope you get it soon! Good luck, Carry Safe and Carry Often!
royce79

Post by royce79 »

OK. Thanks for the info!!!
royce79

Post by royce79 »

STILLLLLL waiting!!!!...lol

Deputy Monday said it will probably take the full 45 days because I have an expungement on my record.

I will post when I finally get it. (27 days and counting).
royce79

Post by royce79 »

I got it today! Yaaay!

:)

Thanks to Deputy Monday and all the staff at the Summit County Sherrifs Office for doing such a great job.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

So, just short of a month then - not great, but not as bad as some have been.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
OvertaxedVoter

Post by OvertaxedVoter »

IMHO, anyone who is a Summit County resident should look at getting their CHL through the Wayne County Sheriff's office.

1. Wayne County schedules appointments in 15 minute increments, throughout the day, every weekday.

In Summit County you are limited to a couple of specific day of the week and time of day windows that are nothing more than "try your luck", "hope for the best", "first come, first served" cattle calls.

In mid-May of 2014, I was able to schedule in Wayne County as soon as the next day and was able to schedule back to back appointments for my wife and myself within that same week.

Someone checking the Wayne County site for appointments at nearly 2:30 today (Friday) will find several openings beginning at soon as 11:30 on the following Tuesday.

http://wcso.appointy.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. With a properly completed form and all required documentation, my wife's and my standard Ohio CHL were both issued by Wayne County within 48 hours.

As you experienced, Summit County seems to regularly take most of, if not all of, a month.

3. Rather than taking off of work for a second time just to pick up your license as Summit County requires, Wayne County (as well as Portage County) will allow you to provide a self addressed, stamped envelope at the time of submitting the application and will mail your license to you.

For my wife and I, we had the last 2 appointments in Wayne County on a Thursday and had our CHLs in our Summit County home's mailbox on Tuesday.

4. For an additional $5.00, Wayne County will prepare an extra set of fingerprint cards during your one and only trip to Wooster so you can apply for the Florida non-resident license.

I can't say enough good things about the Wayne County Sheriff Dept's process of handling CHL applications and applicants.
royce79

Post by royce79 »

Wow!!! I wish I knew about Wayne County when I was getting my license :(

I will make sure that when my fiance gets her license, that we go to good ol' Wayne County.

Thanks for the post!
Uncle Duke

Post by Uncle Duke »

My experience with Summit County must be the exception to the rule as I got my license within a week of applying for renewal. I made certain that I got to the Sheriff's Office as soon as they opened and had all my paperwork completed in advance. It may have helped that when I went it wasn't when it didn't fall around a holiday.

Uncle Duke
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Uncle Duke wrote:My experience with Summit County must be the exception to the rule as I got my license within a week of applying for renewal.
I heard there was a new Sheriff in town that is more 2A/CHL friendly. I've been hearing more and more stories like yours.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!