Moving from out of state: process?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ElBurroLoco

Moving from out of state: process?

Post by ElBurroLoco »

I'll be moving to Ohio in about a year and a half or so. I read in the ORC that you have to be a resident for 45 days to get a carry permit. Do you have to wait 45 days before even applying? Or can you start the process and they only give it to you after you have lived there 45 days? Do you have to be an official resident for 45 days, as in driver's license changed etc?
BobK

Re: Moving from out of state: process?

Post by BobK »

Are you currently licensed in a different state?

Easiest is to carry in Ohio on a non-resident license until you get the whole Ohio residency stuff and training squared away.

Once you are in Ohio, you can get a drivers license when you have some document that demonstrates residency: apartment lease, home purchase HUD statement, utility bill, etc.

The same document can be used to establish the date residency began. Combine that with your Ohio DL and you should be good for the sheriff.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?