Expired? No recertification needed

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Expired? No recertification needed

Post by Stryker74 »

I wanted to post this, as I had this conversation a couple of times while at the Summit county gun show this past weekend.

While there, it seemed as if there were a lot of confusion about the newer (last year is still newer?) laws regarding CHL renewal. There was information being given out that if you let your license expire beyond the 30 day grace period - you have to retake training in order to get a renewed license.

In one particular instance, there was a gentleman that had expired nearly 4 years ago because he said his employer would not let him take time off work to renew. He had been given information that he would have to take the training again, and that was reinforced (incorrectly) while I was there. He stated that was part of the reason it had been 4 years - he just didn't have the means to take the 12 hour training again. He said he had been OC'ing for some time, and I reminded him of motor vehicle carry (and how the CHL relieves the burden).

I informed him that so long as he had his previous license in his possession, that was proof that he had met the training requirements and would not have to take the basic training again. We then confirmed that via a copy of the AG's handbook that we keep at the table with us during shows. He confirmed that he had his license in his wallet, so I encouraged him to get an application submitted to a local county sheriff as soon as he could.

The point of posting this - there is out of date information getting out there from people that are supposedly "in the know" (I will not divulge in this instance, but trust me - it happened in front of me). I am thinking about putting together a table sign that states this information for our next show at Westland. We need to make sure that people are not preventing themselves from renewing because they think they will have to take the class again.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
soontobedeity
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Expired? No recertification needed

Post by soontobedeity »

I'm convinced that gun shows are the worst place to do "research" or get info on anything firearm related.

And that's why I stick around here.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

.....There were 7 people at the Summit show at the table when I was there working......there were I believe 3 Coordinators and 1 Mod.

I'm not trying to be negative here or point to anyone person...but I agree there is to many giving out info to people that come to the table....seems like everyone trying to get into the act..
......I'm certainly not going to educate anyone myself when there are so many there that are far better at it then I am......so I don't get involved....I say hello and that's about it.....
This is the first time at a show that I have worked at where there were so many Honcho's present......
My opinion there should be a limit working the tables with of course a Mod or Coordinator there...

Flame away....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:.....There were 7 people at the Summit show at the table when I was there working......there were I believe 3 Coordinators and 1 Mod.

I'm not trying to be negative here or point to anyone person...but I agree there is to many giving out info to people that come to the table....seems like everyone trying to get into the act..
......I'm certainly not going to educate anyone myself when there are so many there that are far better at it then I am......so I don't get involved....I say hello and that's about it.....
This is the first time at a show that I have worked at where there were so many Honcho's present......
My opinion there should be a limit working the tables with of course a Mod or Coordinator there...

Flame away....
No flame - but the information didn't come from our table. It came from another (nearby) source.

We did get a lot of turnout at this show to represent OFCC. I thought it was good because it gave people a break. Sunday morning in particular was noticeable about how many people we had because the show was slow. Come afternoon - we were down a couple of people, so it didn't seem like too much.

That many people is unusual in my experience from the Columbus shows.

I will say that I think the team did an outstanding job, and I personally had a lot of fun. Additional benefit - I got to meet some new folks from the boards!
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

soontobedeity wrote:I'm convinced that gun shows are the worst place to do "research" or get info on anything firearm related.

And that's why I stick around here.
I would agree and disagree with you on that point.

I have had self identified instructors at shows tell people incorrect information right in front of me. I have heard dealers and vendors give out incorrect information. Often, I hear patrons telling each other incorrect information.

In that light, I agree that gun shows can be a terrible place to do "research".

-----------------------------------------------------

However, I would counter that our gun show teams do as much as they can to counter incorrect/bad information in terms of Ohio gun laws. We really do have some top notch people that spend a lot of time researching and reviewing these laws working the gun shows with us.

We don't normally just sit there and wait for someone to come ask us a question - we do engage people as they are passing by our table. That is how we root out a fair amount of the wrong/incorrect information that people are walking around with. Given the opportunity to speak with people, we correct some amount of fallacy walking around the gun shows.

For that reason, I think you can do "research" at a gun show - provided you get your information from a reliable source.
Aaron

NRA Range Safety Officer

soontobedeity
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by soontobedeity »

Stryker74 wrote:For that reason, I think you can do "research" at a gun show - provided you get your information from a reliable source.
That's well and good, but for every individual or organization relaying good info, there's a dozen self-proclaimed experts spouting their erroneous opinions to whomever will lend half an ear. I'm not saying that good info isn't available at gun shows, but just that it can be difficult for a newcomer to the hobby to sift the good from the crap.