RENEW QUESTION.

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

m-g willy

RENEW QUESTION.

Post by m-g willy »

Hope this is the right place to post this question.
While filling out my application to renew my CCW I come to the question as to did I previously applied in any county in OHIO for a lic. to carry a concealed handgun?
My question is Do I answer YES because I did apply when I first got my lic.?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: RENEW QUESTION.

Post by Cruiser »

I was told to fill it in, even though the renewal county was the same as the previous county.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I didn't even need an application for my renewal because it was from the same county as my original license. I would say fill it in. It won't hurt anything.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

pirateguy191 wrote:I didn't even need an application for my renewal because it was from the same county as my original license. I would say fill it in. It won't hurt anything.
No application? :shock: That must be a Sheriff "thing"! :roll: I understand applications are still required.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Cruiser wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:I didn't even need an application for my renewal because it was from the same county as my original license. I would say fill it in. It won't hurt anything.
No application? :shock: That must be a Sheriff "thing"! :roll: I understand applications are still required.
I brought one, had it all filled out. He asked if my original application was through them, I said yes and he said I don't need the application then. He shredded it for me.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Someone help me understand this law?
From the O.R.C. Does the "shall" in paragraph mean that the Sheriff can do as he pleases?
If compared to the issueing of a License, the "shall" means must not may!
(F)
(1) A licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.

(2) A sheriff shall accept a completed renewal application, the license renewal fee, and the information specified in division (F)(1) of this section at the times and in the manners described in division (I) of this section. Upon receipt of a completed renewal application, r]
Abandon ye all HOPE!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

^^^ Kinda like the 45 day thing? All my info was the same. I'm not sure why this is such a biggie? :?

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

pirateguy191 wrote:^^^ Kinda like the 45 day thing? All my info was the same. I'm not sure why this is such a biggie? :?
It is never a biggie when the Sheriff's choices to misinterpit the law are in your favor!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Ray

Post by Ray »

I'm getting ready to do my first renewal. The original was done in Miami Co. I now reside in Clark Co. I like to know the cost of the renewal now or should I just call the Sheriff's Office?? Since this county has several surrounding counties, any ideas which would be quicker?? Miami Co. took the full 45 days when I originally applied or would it be easier to use Miami again??
I looked on the State AG site that wasn't much help at all.. All I found was the application.
What is the earliest you can apply for the renewal??

Any help with these question would be appreciated.

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Ray wrote:I'm getting ready to do my first renewal. The original was done in Miami Co. I now reside in Clark Co. I like to know the cost of the renewal now or should I just call the Sheriff's Office??
ORC 2923.125
(F)
(4) An applicant for a renewal concealed handgun license under this section shall submit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides a nonrefundable license fee as described in either of the following:

(a) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for five or more years, a fee of fifty dollars;

(b) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for less than five years, a fee of fifty dollars plus the actual cost of having a background check performed by the federal bureau of investigation.
Ray wrote:What is the earliest you can apply for the renewal??
ORC 2923.125
(F)
(1) A licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
Ray

Post by Ray »

JustJack............. Thanks for the information.......

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

Ray wrote:JustJack............. Thanks for the information.......

Ray
No problem, any time. Sorry I don't have any insight into whether you should go w/ Miami OR Clark County. My opinion, with nothing else to back it, is that if it took the full time at Miami CO last time, it can't hurt to try a different one, all it can do is take the full time again.

Also, I wouldn't recommend renewing your license early. The expiration date on the new one will be 5yrs after its issue date, not 5yrs after your old licenses expiration date, so if you renew 90 days early, your original license becomes a 4yr 9mo license instead of a 5yr license.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JustJack wrote:Also, I wouldn't recommend renewing your license early. The expiration date on the new one will be 5yrs after its issue date, not 5yrs after your old licenses expiration date, so if you renew 90 days early, your original license becomes a 4yr 9mo license instead of a 5yr license.
By the same token, don't try to cut it too close that your license expires - although you do have a grace period:
ORC 2923.126 (A) A concealed handgun license that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee's license expires during which the licensee's license remains valid.
Check to see how backed up the Sheriff's offices are and whether or not they require an appointment, how backed up the appointments are, etc. and make sure the timing all works.

<rant>It shouldn't be this way. We should be able to submit our renewal in the mail and have it sent back with the expiration date extended 5 years. Like we do for our car tags or at worst like renewing our drivers license - show up, pay fee, take new picture, get new license, leave. It isn't that hard for crying out loud.</rant>
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

JustaShooter wrote:<rant>It shouldn't be this way. We should be able to submit our renewal in the mail and have it sent back with the expiration date extended 5 years. Like we do for our car tags or at worst like renewing our drivers license - show up, pay fee, take new picture, get new license, leave. It isn't that hard for crying out loud.</rant>
Wow..your county must suck to live in. Appointments? We don't need no stinking appointments (here in Hancock County). You just show up during the appointed hours that they process CHLs, turn in your paperwork, get scanned by the digital fingerprint machine, they snap a digital photo, and you hand them cash (or a check if your a county resident.). Haven't had to renew yet, but I got my original in 4 days (counting the weekend).
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JustJack wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:<rant>It shouldn't be this way. We should be able to submit our renewal in the mail and have it sent back with the expiration date extended 5 years. Like we do for our car tags or at worst like renewing our drivers license - show up, pay fee, take new picture, get new license, leave. It isn't that hard for crying out loud.</rant>
Wow..your county must suck to live in. Appointments? We don't need no stinking appointments (here in Hancock County). You just show up during the appointed hours that they process CHLs, turn in your paperwork, get scanned by the digital fingerprint machine, they snap a digital photo, and you hand them cash (or a check if your a county resident.). Haven't had to renew yet, but I got my original in 4 days (counting the weekend).
Actually my county doesn't require an appointment, but some do. Back in the late winter / early spring it was so busy people were reporting waiting lists of a couple of months to get an appointment and in counties where they didn't take appointments only the first so many people were processed, everybody else had to try again the next day. I couldn't take the risk of not being able to get in just by showing up (since I have to take time off work to apply) so I made an appointment in Wayne County. I have no idea how it is today but it sounds like things have settled down a lot, but the time to issue the license in some cases is still taking too long in my opinion.

My point in the rant is that especially for renewals it shouldn't be as hard or take as long. Unless the BCI check hits on something that needs looked into, they ought to be able to issue it on the spot, and renewals shouldn't require a new application or fingerprints, just verify current address, take money, take picture, print card, done.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!