RENEW QUESTION.

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ray

Re: RENEW QUESTION.

Post by Ray »

ORC 2923.126 (A) A concealed handgun license that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee's license expires during which the licensee's license remains valid.
So if I would make the appointment 35 days before my license expires and they take 45 days to process, I would be OK and Legal??
Since this is my first renewal, I need not show the cert. from when I took the CCW course? I remember that the law had changed on first renewals and later...............

Thanks for the info. I checked Miami & Clark Co S.O., looks like Miami would be better for me this time.

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Ray wrote:So if I would make the appointment 35 days before my license expires and they take 45 days to process, I would be OK and Legal??
Since this is my first renewal, I need not show the cert. from when I took the CCW course? I remember that the law had changed on first renewals and later.
Correct on both counts.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Ray wrote:
ORC 2923.126 (A) A concealed handgun license that is issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee's license expires during which the licensee's license remains valid.
So if I would make the appointment 35 days before my license expires and they take 45 days to process, I would be OK and Legal??
Since this is my first renewal, I need not show the cert. from when I took the CCW course? I remember that the law had changed on first renewals and later...............

Thanks for the info. I checked Miami & Clark Co S.O., looks like Miami would be better for me this time.

Ray
Legal yes.....how many cops know that? Very few. Find me any of the other sections of commonly enforced ORC that have grace periods. You won't, they eliminated them all.

Also, say you happen to be in another state, does that grace period apply there? Will the officer from Kentucky know that?

Personally, I don't trust the grace period any more than Andy Dalton can throw a pass. Also, if we ever want to use our CHL to purchase a firearm from an FFL we have to eliminate the grace period.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Aodhfin

Post by Aodhfin »

I do believe there was an amendment that will cause the grace period to go away on 1/1/2014.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
mreising

Post by mreising »

Aodhfin wrote:I do believe there was an amendment that will cause the grace period to go away on 1/1/2014.
What bill?
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
Aodhfin

Post by Aodhfin »

mreising wrote:
Aodhfin wrote:I do believe there was an amendment that will cause the grace period to go away on 1/1/2014.
What bill?
I am trying to find that out... turns out there might not be one. I thought I had seen the specific bill but now that I try to go back to find it I can't...
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
bigdan390

Post by bigdan390 »

Aodhfin wrote:
mreising wrote:
What bill?
I am trying to find that out... turns out there might not be one. I thought I had seen the specific bill but now that I try to go back to find it I can't...
I needed to be sure for myself. ORC 2923.126 on the ohio.gov website still has the grace period in the code. And the effective date is listed as 1/1/2014. So looks like it is still in effect.
BigDan390
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

I am not a lawyer. I don't even play one on TV. Get your legal opinions from a professional.
Mine may not even be worth what you paid for them.