From CBus, needing PA non-resident

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: From CBus, needing PA non-resident

Post by Sevens »

And just cause I'm a gun guy, it seems relevant to add a range recap associated with this trip to the cabin.
Six handguns made the trip with me for recreational shooting (and if ya wanna include my EDC, that's seven)
My buddy brought five. (six if ya wanna include his EDC)
Just two other guests at the gathering brought a handgun, and each put a box of ammo through his gun. One was a crime bill era Ruger P-95 (9mm) and the other was a beautiful old Colt Official Police, .38 Special.
My handguns saw range time on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

I spent time instructing and helping three 10-year old girls and a couple of 10 & 12-year old brothers. The 12-year old is a hoot because he's 12... and acts 12... but this kid is 6 foot 1 and 150 lbs. :P Only my daughter had previous experience with handgun shooting. Most used was my daughter's own Ruger SR-22, but I have to say that my recent find (1952 Colt Challenger) was quite popular with all who spent time on our little range, and especially by the kids who loved it's incredibly smooth, light & crisp trigger pull.

One of the girls put two different loads through my well-used former Ohio DOC Model 10-10 to great effect. My own daughter still doesn't care for .38 Special. (yet! :wink: ) The same 10-year old who does really like .38 Special also got to try a light load of .44 "Magnum" through my 7.5" Redhawk. I put "Magnum" in quotes because it's a 240gr LSWC at 870 fps. In reality, it's pretty much .45 ACP numbers but from a massively large & heavy revolver. If that gargantuan 7 1/2 inch barrel wasn't enough to soak up the recoil, the four-hole Mag-Na-Port job assisted quite a bit. With those loads, it's a pussycat. But the grin on her face was as wide as the barrel is long. :D

I was able to instruct and assist each kid on his/her own, without any interference from the others. That was absolutely key. Each one of them had a blast and is looking forward to the next one.

Later, and without any kids, I had a rip roarin' time of my own that included 150 rounds of three different .357 Magnum loads through my Coonan to great effect. I also found that a nice big tent erected just to the right side of the firing line does a fantastic job of keeping the lion's share of violently tossed .357 brass in a close area and is a fine helper to the brass pickins' after the noise stops.

When the dust had settled and all was cleaned up, we left the place better than we found it and my guns had tallied 344 shots of rimfire and 339 rounds of center fire for a 683 round total.

Fantastic trip.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Thanks for passing on our love of shooting to the next generation!
When the dust had settled and all was cleaned up, we left the place better than we found it and my guns had tallied 344 shots of rimfire and 339 rounds of center fire for a 683 round total.
Isn't the freedom to shoot during times of ammo scarcity a great reason to handload!
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Brother, I almost had to cringe at all the rimfire we spent, but with ten year olds, it was going to be a lot of rimfire. But yep, it was a good cause.

As to the subject of passing on the sport to kids... it's a genuine opportunity, it's something you wanna grab when you have the chance. I would love to be able to do it more often.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
eugene

Post by eugene »

She probably didn't lie, she probably told the truth as she knew it, most .gov and even most businesses one person tells the policies as she knows and another tells as they know.

My kids still are not real interested in shooting, they would rather just splash in the creek. Wife is getting interested but she's usually watching the kids while I'm shooting.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Crawford County in Pennsylvania is very non-resident friendly. Took less than 5 minutes to do the paperwork and they said they would mail license to me in 2-3 weeks. It is 230 mile drive from Columbus but nice little city (Meadville)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Carol wrote:Crawford County in Pennsylvania is very non-resident friendly. Took less than 5 minutes to do the paperwork and they said they would mail license to me in 2-3 weeks. It is 230 mile drive from Columbus but nice little city (Meadville)
I'll second this - I filled my paperwork out online (they have a PDF on their website you can fill in the blanks & print out). Unlike some PA counties, they don't require your references to be county or even PA residents, no letter stating why you need the license, just the form filled out properly.

The process couldn't be easier. It literally took less than 5 minutes from the time I left the car - in the door, through security checkpoint (metal detector, be prepared), up the elevator to 3rd floor, tell her why I'm there, hand her paperwork & a $20 bill, take picture, listen to short spiel, out the door. Closest parking is on the street just outside, but it is metered spaces so bring quarters. I think they give you an hour for a quarter, if you need a whole quarter's worth you've managed to get there at a bad time.

She said expect it to take 3 weeks, and license arrived in half that time.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
flyer747

Post by flyer747 »

I got mine in Westmoreland County, sheriff,s office in Greensburg and very non resident friendly, in and out in 10/15 mins and licence received one week later.

ray
xxxamishxxx

Post by xxxamishxxx »

Mine needs to be renewed this yr.. would have been easier when i lived in eastern ohio. now i am back in columbus will take a motorcycle trip to get it renewed..
Accurate Concepts Training, LLC
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Punishers Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club
flyer747

Post by flyer747 »

@ xxxamishxxx, if it helps you check out PFOA website for non residents then click on county link and it will give county by county who are nr friendly and then pick one nearest you.

ray