Moving Out of State

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

amoz02t
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Moving Out of State

Post by amoz02t »

Hi. Can someone please point me to the right reference for moving to Kentucky? Recently moved, my Butler Co CCW will expire before my 6 months of Louisville residency later this year, and I want to do this properly. Please point me to good info on how to renew my OH permit as I wait for KY. Thanks- :D
jabeatty

Re: Moving Out of State

Post by jabeatty »

amoz02t wrote:Hi. Can someone please point me to the right reference for moving to Kentucky? Recently moved, my Butler Co CCW will expire before my 6 months of Louisville residency later this year, and I want to do this properly. Please point me to good info on how to renew my OH permit as I wait for KY. Thanks- :D
If you've already moved to Kentucky, you cannot renew your Ohio License.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Kentucky is an open carry state, you may just have to go all open till you can get your KY license..

Good thing is once you do, it covers all defensive weapons unlike the nanny state here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
amoz02t
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by amoz02t »

So I guess I found another hole? Wish I'd done this OH renewal earlier. Hope it helps someone else think ahead... :oops:
amoz02t
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by amoz02t »

Thanks for the response.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Isn't your Ohio license invalidated within 30 days of moving, just like a driver's license & plates?
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

Peter wrote:Isn't your Ohio license invalidated within 30 days of moving, just like a driver's license & plates?
No.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
mreising

Post by mreising »

jabeatty wrote:
Peter wrote:Isn't your Ohio license invalidated within 30 days of moving, just like a driver's license & plates?
No.
You are required to notify the sheriff of your move and some sheriffs then cancel the license if you moved out of state even though that is not specified in the law. On the other hand, I don't believe there is a penalty for failing to notify of your new address; kind of like there is no penalty for the sheriff failing to issue a license within the 45 limit.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I know this is an old thread, but I just saw something in the ORC that I thought I'd share that has to do with a topic I see come up upon occasion.
mreising wrote:
jabeatty wrote:
No.
You are required to notify the sheriff of your move and some sheriffs then cancel the license if you moved out of state even though that is not specified in the law.
It isn't 30 days, but it looks to me that the Sheriff is required to revoke your CHL if he becomes aware that are no longer a resident of Ohio:

From ORC 2923.128 Suspension and revocation of license:
(B)

(1) A sheriff who issues a concealed handgun license to a licensee shall revoke the license in accordance with division (B)(2) of this section upon becoming aware that the licensee satisfies any of the following:
(g) At the time of the issuance of the license , the licensee did not meet the residency requirements described in division (D)(1) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code and currently does not meet the residency requirements described in that division.
Emphasis mine.

So if you notify the Sheriff of your new address as is required by law, and that new address is not in Ohio, is he not then required to revoke it?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BobK

Post by BobK »

In my opinion, that is a misinterpretation of RC 2923.128(B)(1)(g).

For (g) to apply, both conditions must be satisfied.

The licensee had to fail residency at the time of application AND fail residency now.

That is a big "AND".

For example, I was a legal Ohio resident the last time I renewed my Ohio CHL. I met the residency requirement at the time of issuance.

Therefore, (g) does not disqualify me from continuing to have a valid Ohio CHL even though I now reside in Texas.
Last edited by BobK on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BobK wrote:That is a big
I expectantly await the completion of this thought... :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
BobK

Post by BobK »

JustaShooter wrote:
BobK wrote:That is a big
I expectantly await the completion of this thought... :mrgreen:
The suspense is over. :mrgreen: :lol:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

LOL thanks! I thought the same thing when reading it, but still, I do wonder if that's the basis that various Sheriffs are using when revoking CHLs for people that move out of state. In fact, see the Ohio AG's 2013 Concealed Carry Annual Report page 4 (that's page 4 of the PDF, page 1 of the report contained therein):
Also under ORC 2923.128, sheriffs must permanently revoke the license of any person who no longer meets the eligibility requirements to carry a concealed handgun.
There are several reasons that a license may be revoked. The license holder:
• Moved out of state
• Died
• Decided not to hold the license anymore
• Was convicted of a disqualifying crime
• Became subject to the law’s restrictions on mentally ill people or people considered drug- or alcohol -dependent

Sheriffs are not required to report the specific reason for the revocation to the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission
NRA Life Member