PA non resident

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

GroveTuckey

Re: PA non resident

Post by GroveTuckey »

From the looks of it on their site they do the permits Monday - Friday from 8:00 - 3:30. It would be nice to know it they like to give non-residents a license. I will go look on the PA forum and see what I can find out.
GroveTuckey

Post by GroveTuckey »

I think we will just make a run to Center County.
XDm45

Post by XDm45 »

Is the cost for the non-resident permit still $20? I figure while I am off work healing, I'll hop over the border, and get that license taken care of.
This Space For Rent
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Unless they just upped the rate, that's what it was when I went, back in Jan.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Mrs. Daspirate

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

Joe and I both got ours today in Erie county. (I was told by a former boss that the first wedding anniversary was the "paper" anniversary, so it seemed appropriate to buy each other firearm licenses, lol.)

We decided we should, since we're spending a few days in Philadelphia in two weeks for our wedding anniversary. We started in Mercer county, but when we were told that they couldn't do background checks and it would take two weeks to get the license, we headed up to Erie instead, figuring we couldn't do worse. The woman in Mercer county wasn't mean exactly, but they sure were much friendlier at the Erie county office. The office workers were anyway. When we told the receptionist why we were there, some woman filing a police report said loudly, "oh just what the world needs, more guns" in a very disgusted voice. Joe, without missing a beat, turned and said, "well... yes, we do!" and then went back to filling in his application. :lol:

In and out in less than a half hour, I'd say. We were still told they'd be mailed within two weeks instead of getting them right then, but that's our own fault for thinking of it so late.
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

If the Mercer Co. lady is the same person I encountered on my trip there, she definitely has her moments - she can be very nice, but if something's catching her mood, it bleeds through on customer-service...or lack thereof. :lol:

I think the big risk in going to Mercer is that they need to call-in their background checks. If the computer's down, apparently, they can't process anything, and several people who had been in the office the day I went to get mine reported that's what happened to them, on other days.

Glad you were able to get yours, and happy anniversary! My wife and I just celebrated our 11th. We also used to drive up to Philly (from Baltimore) all the time, when we were in college. Love the city. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
mrjam2jab

Post by mrjam2jab »

XDm45 wrote:Is the cost for the non-resident permit still $20? I figure while I am off work healing, I'll hop over the border, and get that license taken care of.
Yes it is.
greg l

Post by greg l »

I wish I would have read this post BEFORE I went to Crawford County in downtown Meadville. Could have had the LTCF instantly...However the process was great...downloaded the application and filled it out prior to going to the courthouse. Security screen then up to the 3rd floor. Review of the application...two refrences Ohio friends..gave them my $20.00 cash...signed the electronic box and the paper form...they took my picture and then mailed the Pa. LTCF in two weeks...pretty easy and simple process.....Greg
sr44

Post by sr44 »

We just went to Bedford County this past Friday, whole process took maybe 10 minutes. Had the forms filled out prior to our arrival and had the license in my hand in record time. I don't even think they did the background check it was that quick.
NRA Life Member
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Ted and I had to be in Centre County to drop son off at camp, so we renewed there.

Parking is a nightmare. We never found a lot; it was all street parking on steep hills, narrow, and few places available.

Once we got into the sheriff's office, it was a painless and fast process. $20, and left with our nice new licenses in hand. And it is good for 5 years.m
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mustang380gal wrote:Ted and I had to be in Centre County to drop son off at camp, so we renewed there.

Parking is a nightmare. We never found a lot; it was all street parking on steep hills, narrow, and few places available.

Once we got into the sheriff's office, it was a painless and fast process. $20, and left with our nice new licenses in hand. And it is good for 5 years.m
Good info to have, thanks. My original PA non-resident was issued by Centre County, and expires next year in May. Was going to renew there but that parking thing will make me re-examine the mention folks have made about counties closer to the Ohio border.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
rflemen

Post by rflemen »

I am heading to Crawford County tomorrow. I called and the lady was nice, she said they are issuing non-resident permits and that the references could be from anywhere (they just can't be related to you), and she said once the permit is approved and completed they will happily mail it to me.

I'll let you folks know how it goes...it's about a 3 hour round trip for me so the wife and I are going to make a day of it in PA.

Rob
Beretta 92 FS
Glock 19 Gen4
M&P Shield 9mm
Baby Desert Eagle II .45 acp
M&P 22
S&W Bodyguard
Colt M4
Ruger 10/22
rflemen

Post by rflemen »

rflemen wrote:I am heading to Crawford County tomorrow. I called and the lady was nice, she said they are issuing non-resident permits and that the references could be from anywhere (they just can't be related to you), and she said once the permit is approved and completed they will happily mail it to me.

I'll let you folks know how it goes...it's about a 3 hour round trip for me so the wife and I are going to make a day of it in PA.

Rob
I was in and out in less than 15 minutes...WITHOUT the permit...they said they would have it to me by mail in approximately 2 weeks.

All in all it was painless assuming I get it in the time frame they say...will let you folks know if I do or not.

Rob
Beretta 92 FS
Glock 19 Gen4
M&P Shield 9mm
Baby Desert Eagle II .45 acp
M&P 22
S&W Bodyguard
Colt M4
Ruger 10/22
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

That's par for the course with Crawford County - easy & quick, and right at two weeks for the license to arrive. I would be surprised to hear differently.

Those that get a new license on the spot are rare (if they happen at all - I suspect most of them we hear about are renewals) since as I understand it, they are required to do a background check.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Six Shooter

Post by Six Shooter »

JustaShooter wrote:That's par for the course with Crawford County - easy & quick, and right at two weeks for the license to arrive. I would be surprised to hear differently.
Crawford County is good to go. About 15 minutes in the office, and received it in the mail 10 days later.

rflemen wrote:
rflemen wrote:it's about a 3 hour round trip for me
I was in and out in less than 15 minutes...WITHOUT the permit...they said they would have it to me by mail in approximately 2 weeks.

All in all it was painless assuming I get it in the time frame they say...will let you folks know if I do or not.

Rob
My trip, was a lot longer than that. Plus, about $80.00 in gas.