PA non resident

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bobk2579

PA non resident

Post by bobk2579 »

Just got back from Mercer County,PA
I looked online for info on what they want and need for non-resident permit and found little current stuff. They do permits at sheriff office Monday and Wed morning and afternoon, closed 11:30 to 1:30. They do not take cash, only check or MO. $20.00 (I had only cash so I had to find a Speedway). They want you to have a COPY of your Drivers License and a COPY of your Ohio CCW permit. They DO NOT have copy machine there so bring it with you(I did not, so I had to find a RiteAid). The app also wants 2 references, non related. Once All the copies and Money Order in hand It only took 15 Minutes and I walked away with nice laminated Pa Carry permit. 1 hour start to finish even with my siteseeing trips to local stores. Not bad at all!
PF-9
DB-380
Taurus TCP
ROME

Re: PA non resident

Post by ROME »

Thanks for the update bob, I've been meaning to go get my PA for some time now. I heard the Lawrence Co. sheriff requires the 2 references to live in Lawrence Co. and while I could probably find 2 from that county it sounds like it would be just as easy to drive up to Mercer.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Good information, thank you.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Very helpful indeed - thank you very much!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
stew47

Post by stew47 »

I thought pa did away with non resident permits...I gotta make the trip now! Do they have a web site to download an application? Should I call first?
ROME

Post by ROME »

To my knowledge they just got rid of the license by mail...you have to make a trip over the boarder to get your license now

http://www.co.lawrence.pa.us/sheriff/li ... y_2009.pdf
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Just FWIW, if you're going to head over to PA, CALL first - at least one Western PA Sheriff refuses to issue non-member licenses, last I heard.

(I thought it was Mercer County! Might be Lawrence.)

I have a while to go, but unless they change the rules, I may just take a drive over to State College - Center County, actually. Sheriff Nau's been a big supporter of the non-resident licenses since forever, and on the right day, it's a nice ride. No idea how I'd explain that to my wife, though :D....

The wife has family in New Castle - probably could use them as a reference if anybody demanded "PA Residents". Never guess the relationship from our names.

(I could explain New Castle, I guess, but "gee, why did it take six hours?" might be a problem :D.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

SMMAssociates wrote: I have a while to go, but unless they change the rules, I may just take a drive over to State College - Center County, actually. Sheriff Nau's been a big supporter of the non-resident licenses since forever, and on the right day, it's a nice ride. No idea how I'd explain that to my wife, though :D....
That's something for me to consider - I've done that drive before, and yep, it was a very nice ride, indeed. :)
mrjam2jab

Post by mrjam2jab »

stew47 wrote:I thought pa did away with non resident permits...I gotta make the trip now! Do they have a web site to download an application? Should I call first?
Here is the application without County name preprinted on it...

http://www.co.venango.pa.us/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=388&Itemid=

This will download the PDF
bobk2579

Post by bobk2579 »

Just FWIW, if you're going to head over to PA, CALL first - at least one Western PA Sheriff refuses to issue non-member licenses, last I heard.

(I thought it was Mercer County! Might be Lawrence.)

Mercer County Sheriff definately issues them. While I was getting things together I watched them issue 4 on the spot in addition to mine.
easy to get to rt 80 to about mile mark 20 and 4 miles north on PA 19. About 20-25 minutes east of Hubbard Ohio. The is SO office is on 19 on right side just as you enter mercer downtown area. Enter front door and you are there! Could nor be easier or friendlier
PF-9
DB-380
Taurus TCP
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Stopped off at the Mercer Co. Sheriff's Office this AM.

Pretty busy - but the clerks said that this was due to the holidays more than anything else.

If you're planning on going at the next couple of opportunities, be sure to call them and talk to someone, as they weren't open this past Monday.

Everything that bobk2579 said above as well as in his OP is 100% verified per my experiences today. The Money Order can be made out to "Mercer County Sheriff."

I downloaded the Centre County form off of Handgunlaw.us, since it's a form-fill .pdf, and pasted a white-out over the "Centre" and made a second photocopy so that it would not show. :)
ROME

Post by ROME »

TSiWRX wrote:Stopped off at the Mercer Co. Sheriff's Office this AM.

Pretty busy - but the clerks said that this was due to the holidays more than anything else.

If you're planning on going at the next couple of opportunities, be sure to call them and talk to someone, as they weren't open this past Monday.

Everything that bobk2579 said above as well as in his OP is 100% verified per my experiences today. The Money Order can be made out to "Mercer County Sheriff."

I downloaded the Centre County form off of Handgunlaw.us, since it's a form-fill .pdf, and pasted a white-out over the "Centre" and made a second photocopy so that it would not show. :)
What time were you there this morning? My father and I also went today, we got there a little late though and she said that because we were out of state it would take about 20 minutes a piece for the NICS, it was already past the time they were suppose to be open til so she asked if it was alright if she took our pictures and mailed the licenses to us. Like TSiWRX said it was busy there today, I probably saw about 9-11 people get their licenses while I was there, once most of them got their licenses she took our applications. There was one other guy in front of us who put in his application but his background check came back flagged, I thought I heard he was from Georgia so she did the same as us and took his picture and said she would mail it if it cleared. Everyone in the Sheriff's Office was very friendly and even if it takes a couple days to get mailed that is still better then Lawrence County (the website says there is a waiting period of 4-6 weeks for all new licenses).
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Hiya ROME,

I don't think I saw you guys - there were a few fathers/sons (including one that had an 11-month old boy on his shoulder :lol:, a bit early to get his CHL!), including fellow Ohioans, when I was there, which was between 10 and 11:15 AM, but I don't remember any of the circumstances that you'd described.

I would've been easy to spot: I'm a chubby Chinese guy with glasses, blue-jeans and a black fleece, around 6 ft. tall. :D
ROME

Post by ROME »

I must have just missed you TSiWRX, we got there right about 11:15-11:20. I got to sit right next to that little guy, he had just woken up and was starting to get a little antsy :lol:
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Yep, we must have *just* missed each other. The little guy (well, he was actually pretty big for his age!) was still asleep (although beginning to stir, as the officer was typing up my card, the boy let out a howl) on his dad's shoulder, when I left.

I stood in the portico between the doors for a few moments, gathering my IDs and paperwork (and checking over the new card to make sure there were no mistakes) as well as turning my cell's volume and Bluetooth back on.