Ashtabula Co. only open 10 hrs for CHL permits

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

Magoo wrote:Nope. No retraction.
He said: "they accept applications during all business hours " which equals more than the 15 hr. Minimum.
Very Surprising.

"but pickup of permits are on Mondays and Thursdays 9am-12pm and 1pm-3pm. That is only 6 Hrs.
That's the part I was discussing. Of course we could start talking about Intent and Vaugeness of Law once More couldn't we?.
It all comes down to this. Play by their rules or go somewhere else while you fight them in Court on how wrong they may or may not be, correct?. I'm not going to get into a {inappropriate language} Match with anyone over this.
You may mention the law to them and change their mind or they may tell you to stick it up your you know what?. I beleive the Latter?.
I meant that the hours are 9am to 12 noon, closed for lunch, then open 1pm to 3pm both days. Thats still only 10 hours for pickup.
AkshunJebus

Post by AkshunJebus »

Magoo... maybe I can explain this better. We all agree that the office PROVIDES and ACCEPTS applications at least 15 hours per week in accordance with the law... in this case "all business hours"

However, the point of contention lies in the fact that they DO NOT provide 15 hours per week in which the original poster can PICK UP his already approved renewal.

To continue to beat this horse, the wording of the law specifically mentions providing and accepting applications, but does not mention the pick-up of applications.

Therefore your earlier comment of "NO MATTER HOW YOU READ IT, IT STATES.... For regular licenses at least 15 hours each week must be made available. That would pertain to anything associated with the process, whether he was picking up, dropping off, or just stopping in to ask questions." (emphasis mine) is not correct as currently worded in the law, which is as follows:

must provide application forms and accept license applications and
supporting documents for regular licenses at least 15 hours each week.

In summary, the OP wants to pick up his approved renewal, but doesn't have the 15 hours per week to do so that is law for applying.

Hopefully something in this huge post clarifies the question a bit. :)
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

And I thought Old Man Todd’s post was confusing!!! :D

OMT Post
AkshunJebus

Post by AkshunJebus »

And I thought Old Man Todd’s post was confusing!!!
If you're talking about my last post... I couldn't think if any other way to explain it to Magoo beside using A LOT of words.

If you're talking about your original post... I think most of us got it. We just need Magoo to come aboard. :lol:

But OMT's post was very confusing! :)
cgs500

Post by cgs500 »

AkshunJebus wrote:
And I thought Old Man Todd’s post was confusing!!!
If you're talking about my last post... I couldn't think if any other way to explain it to Magoo beside using A LOT of words.

If you're talking about your original post... I think most of us got it. We just need Magoo to come aboard. :lol:

But OMT's post was very confusing! :)
I meant my OP. :D
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Magoo wrote:Nope. No retraction.

(snip)

"but pickup of permits are on Mondays and Thursdays 9am-12pm and 1pm-3pm. That is only 6 Hrs.
That's the part I was discussing.
From the ORC:
A sheriff shall accept a completed application form or renewal application, and the fee, items, materials, and information specified in divisions (B)(1) to (5) or division (F) of this section, whichever is applicable, and shall provide an application form or renewal application and a copy of the pamphlet described in division (B) of section 109.731 of the Revised Code to any person during at least fifteen hours a week.
You point out where in the law it says they must do pickups 15 hours a week and we'll all concede you are right. :wink:

Either that or prove that "accept" and "provide" mean the same thing as "pickup".
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

From the ORC:
A sheriff shall accept a completed application form or renewal application, and the fee, items, materials, and information specified in divisions (B)(1) to (5) or division (F) of this section, whichever is applicable, and shall provide an application form or renewal application and a copy of the pamphlet described in division (B) of section 109.731 of the Revised Code to any person during at least fifteen hours a week.
You point out where in the law it says they must do pickups 15 hours a week and we'll all concede you are right. :wink:

Either that or prove that "accept" and "provide" mean the same thing as "pickup".[/quote]
#1. I don't Have to Prove a {BAD WORD} thing.
Can you prove to anyone here that it does not mean 15 hrs. is to be provided to include picking up the Lic.?. Nope!.
Again-we could start talking about their Intent and Vaugeness of Law once more?.
It all comes down to this. Play by their rules or go somewhere else, correct?.
I'm not going to get into a ***** Match with you or anyone else, unless that is what your wanting?.
Matter of fact, why don't YOU tell us what their Intention in the Law was, or better yet, get a Lawyer to address these issues online to dispell the Myths?. How about it Danny?.
That sounds better doesn't it?. :D
If they Come-Surrender All Ammo Bullets First!
FFL/SOT
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Life Member
U.S. Army Veteran
Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Daniel »

Wow, some people just can't take losing can they?
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I'd rather race against a sore loser than any kind of a winner. :)

My take on all this is that the law just states counties must accept applications for at least 15 hours and does not have any penalty if a sheriff doesn't comply. The law doesn't say boo about how many hours it must be available to pick up the license. Some counties mail them to the applicant. Perhaps we should ask that county to do the same?

As for the arguments being presented, I see no winners or losers, but we could tick each other off if we don't see each others' point of view. We can discuss it all we want, but that isn't changing the language of the law.

Let's move on.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
AkshunJebus

Post by AkshunJebus »

Let's move on.
Yep... tried to be civil and helpful. Moving on now. :roll: