Well, it took 44 days, but I FINALLY have my permit

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tep0583

Well, it took 44 days, but I FINALLY have my permit

Post by tep0583 »

Picked it up at Wood County SO this afternoon.

They're behind as all get out, but they are very professional and nice to people putting in applications, so they get an overall good review from me.

Other than time, the entire experience went very well.
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Yikes. I read the title and got this bad gut feeling it was gonna be my county. I was thinking "please be Cleveland area".

I'm going to try and apply next week. Crap.
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

license.
mreising

Post by mreising »

D-Day wrote:Yikes. I read the title and got this bad gut feeling it was gonna be my county. I was thinking "please be Cleveland area".

You don't have to apply in Wood county, you can go to any adjacent county also. I'm not up on my OH geography, but you may find an adjacent county that is faster. You can use CCWhen to check various county's issuance delays. Of course it only works when people post their results, as the OP should do in the case of Wood County.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
tep0583

Post by tep0583 »

D-Day wrote:Yikes. I read the title and got this bad gut feeling it was gonna be my county. I was thinking "please be Cleveland area".

Pretty sure you can go to Seneca too and they're reputed to be much faster.

ETA- looks like you'd be better off going to Henry or Hancock with Ottawa being on the outside.
tep0583

Post by tep0583 »

mreising wrote:

You don't have to apply in Wood county, you can go to any adjacent county also. I'm not up on my OH geography, but you may find an adjacent county that is faster. You can use CCWhen to check various county's issuance delays. Of course it only works when people post their results, as the OP should do in the case of Wood County.
Submitted.
compenSAted

Post by compenSAted »

In my and friends' experiences, Lucas County SO Is professional and quick.
God Bless America
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Yeah, I saw that Henry is reputed to be faster. Maybe I'll try there instead. Just feels weird not getting it from my sheriff. I mean, I did let him put a campaign sign in my yard...not that has anything to do with time, just sayin'.
JohnRiz

Post by JohnRiz »

crap. I have my appointment thursday in wood county.
mreising

Post by mreising »

JohnRiz wrote:crap. I have my appointment thursday in wood county.
Cancel it and go to another county, and let them know why you are cancelling the appointment.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Well, I contacted Henry County S.O., and the detective who does the appointments/applications is busy with a few court cases, I was told. I left a voicemail for him yesterday before finding this out today, and haven't gotten a call back. I figure if he does I'll just decline, since it sounds like he might be tied up a while and I'm short on time.

Figured I'd call Wood County, and the one who takes applications there is out of the office until Monday. Great. I leave that evening to go camping, I don't have time to wait till Monday to schedule an appointment to apply.

So, I checked ccwwhen.com and checked counties again, Hancock looked good and is closer than anywhere else (besides Wood County Sheriff), wait time is decent, and they don't require appointments. The kicker?

They accept applications 9am-12pm on Friday. I read that right as the clock struck 12:01pm. Wish I could have checked sooner.

Oh well. If all goes well, hopefully Monday I'll be able to walk in and apply before heading out for camping.
tep0583

Post by tep0583 »

Hopefully things have slowed down some and you can get right in.

I had to call and make an appointment for the following week to apply. Other than being busy, the process was very pain-free. They're very CHL friendly and quite personable. Have your paperwork and passport photo ready to go and you should be in and out in under 15-30 minutes easily, depending on if you have to wait or not. I was in and out in under 15 minutes.
D-Day
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by D-Day »

Well, I heard back from the detective, and asked if I wanted to set up an appointment. I said due to time and leaving for camping, I would hold off on applying and may call later in the month or go to another county to apply instead, and apologized for bothering him. He was very courteous.

I feel bad calling it off, but I had no idea when/if he was gonna call and even if the appointment was gonna work out.