Renewal vs. New Application

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

cptmack

Renewal vs. New Application

Post by cptmack »

I'm hoping this question will be mostly theoretical, but it might happen to me.

My CHL expires on June 4, 2008. I'm living out of state, due to being on active duty military orders in Pennsylvania. Looking at my work schedule, I will not be able to get back to my home county during a weekday until after the expiration date. I'm hoping to get back father's day weekend to see Dad, and take an extra day leave to renew on that Monday. But - if I can't do that for some reason, and July 3, 2008 comes and goes (30 days past the expiration date), can't I just apply for a new CHL? You use the same form, and they want the same information, so does anyone really see a difference? Besides having to be unarmed in Ohio for awhile.

It's Washington county, they say they want all addresses since 18 for a renewal too.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

cptmack:

There seems to be no difference at all between a new application and a renewal, except for the little box you check.

I think your certification would still be valid for at least another year, so I doubt if you'd have to re-take the course.

About the only real difference here (I worked with Columbiana County for my original and renewal) is that a renewal "comes back" from the background checking within hours, usually, v.s. ten days or more.

Your PA CHL probably would be invalid, though, during the interim. Unless it was issued as a PA resident, somehow (I don't think you can do that), it presumes a valid OH CHL.... However, there may be a cutie in the PA law that'd let you get another one of theirs in a short time.

The real question, IMHO, is whether you'd have to take the course again. I'd say no.... But IANAL....

It's too bad you can't just jump the border and come back a couple times, but that's up to you and your CO, not to mention OSP :D....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

The orignal certificates were good for 3 years, so if you apply with your 04 certificate, it's out of date.
If you are really unsure, call the Sheriff & ask them, they do have a certain amount of latitude
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mad Duck:

I don't think "3 years" is correct.... Although that may be the case for a new application....

I don't know about the next renewal (2013 for me), but my understanding is that my certification will be considered current until then, even though it technically expires in 2010.

(As usual, the certification period and the license period, don't match, but it appears that re-certification won't be necessary until the renewal licenses expire. Nobody seems to know what the recertification will look like....)

My guess would be that cptmack's 04 certification would be accepted for a renewal on the basis of the military-induced delay. Be a hell of a lawsuit if somebody wanted to complain, otherwise.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
mreising

Post by mreising »

Stu:
Mad Duck is referring to using the certificate for a new application, otherwise they are good for 6 years. If Cptmack has to reapply for a new CHL his original cert may no longer be valid but he may be able to prove current military experience.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mark:

Thanks.... I thought it might go that way.

Forgot about the Military certification, though. I'm not sure what he's doing.

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

First thing I would do is put in a call to the Sheriff's Office you will be dealing with and ask them if there is anything that you can do to get it in earlier.

Maybe send them the new app with some certified ink print 10 cards and a picture with a certified date would help if you talk with them and explain. Don't know, but you are not out more than the change dropped into a pay phone to find out.

Is there an active PMO where you are stationed? They could probably get print cards and a certified picture (as to date, within the last 30 days) if there is.

There seems to be enough "slack" in the systems that different counties obey different rules, so MAYBE they can help you.

Buckshot
cptmack

Post by cptmack »

Thanks to everyone for the input, just seeing what ideas were out there. Hopefully I'll make it down in time and it won't be an issue. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive, one way, and with gas prices, it would cost close to $100 round trip, so I really don't want to take a day just to do it. I'd rather have some other reason to go there too. And with my son in school until next week, I couldn't just leave here, drive there, turn around and come back and be sure I'd be home in time for him to get home. I did qualify less then a year ago with the M9 Beretta, so I could probably use that if I have too.