30 Day grace period?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

G-19

30 Day grace period?

Post by G-19 »

I went to the Montgomery Co. Sheriff today to renew my CHL. They told me that it would take 6 weeks to get my new CHL. I off handidly stated that I could not carry after 6/20 and she told me I could carry for 30 days after the expiration on my current CHL. I read the pamphlet and did not see this anywhere. Can somebody shed light if this is true?
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

That would be true. Look here:

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention ... cw_faq.pdf

and you'll find this as one of the FAQs:

May I carry my handgun during the 30-day “grace period”
after expiration?
Yes. You have a grace period of thirty days after the license
expires during which your license remains valid.
Factory Certified SIG SAUER Armorer
NRA Certified Instructor: pistol, home firearm safety, RSO

"Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong." - Ronald Reagan
G-19

Post by G-19 »

Thanks for the link and the quick reply. I guess I should have checked the AG's site before posting. I just got home and posted before I thought about it. Thanks again.
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

G-19 wrote:Thanks for the link and the quick reply. I guess I should have checked the AG's site before posting. I just got home and posted before I thought about it. Thanks again.
You're welcome. Hope you get the new one in less than 6 weeks.

"Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong." - Ronald Reagan
DoubleK

Post by DoubleK »

That's interesting. I renewed my license in Stark County a few days ago and they told me that I did have 30 days to renew after the license expired but DO NOT carry after the expiration date while waiting for the new one.
oldmic
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by oldmic »

Not surprising. We hear all sorts of information, good and bad, regarding the specifics of the law. Anyway, here's the code:

2923.125 Application and licensing process.
(F) A licensee who wishes to renew a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this section shall do so not earlier than ninety days before the expiration date of the license and not later than thirty days after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section,

Following is the Ohio Attorney General opinion, as published in the February 2008 pamphlet mentioned in the original response, specifically as it relates to carrying during the 30 days:

When may I renew my CCW license? You may renew your license 90 days prior to expiration and 30
days after expiration.
May I carry my handgun during the 30-day “grace period”
after expiration?

Yes. You have a grace period of thirty days after the license
expires during which your license remains valid.

I'm not a lawyer, but personally, I'm going with the AG's opinion.

djthomas

Post by djthomas »

As the other folks said, yes you get 30 days.

You might run into a hassle would be if you were stopped while carrying in a state that recognizes an Ohio license. I would not expect a LEO in Florida to know that a 20 day expired Ohio license is actually valid.

It would probably check out in the end but it might mean you sit and wait while they sort it out. Of course, the same could probably be said for many LEO in Ohio. Unless you know the finer points of CCW law you'd probably think that it is no good on the day it expires just like a driver's license or license plates.
jeffkirchner
Deceased
Deceased

Post by jeffkirchner »

And, here's the law:

2923.126 Duties of licensed individual
(A)...A licensee who has been issued a license under that section shall be granted a grace period of thirty days after the licensee’s license expires during which the licensee’s license remains valid...
The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
G-19

Post by G-19 »

Thanks to all for the great info.