Question about possible denial of new application for CHL

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

buckeyered

Post by buckeyered »

I knew Ohio was messed up but that's just sad.
"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees." Emiliano Zapata
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Bearcat wrote:Now that I kinda know what I'm up against, any recomendations of a lawyer in Hamilton County that can deal with these issues? Thanks agian.
If you haven't read this one already there are many references in this thread.
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=
The British are going! The British are going!
spanishropes

City codecharge or Ohio revised code?

Post by spanishropes »

Bearcat...you say the marij. ticket was in a very small city in Ohio. Were you charged under a city ordinance, or the Ohio revised code? The concealed carry law is specific to a conviction for drugs under ORC 2925.11. If you were charged under a city ordinance, and not Ohio law/ORC, it shouldn't be a disqualifier.
Scruit

Post by Scruit »

Doesn't the Castle Doctrine bill exclude sealed records from the background search?
LarryD

Post by LarryD »

Scruit, that's also my take on this situation. If the OP waits until SB 184 to become law, and expunges his offense, I think he'll be all set.
The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.
556wilson

Post by 556wilson »

Thanks to the people who worked with the House and Senate to get SB184, expunged records won't be considered in a few months. Go get your expungement.
Guns, and lots of them.
OhioMike

Post by OhioMike »

1. Get your record EXPUNGED

2. Now with the passing of the "Castle Doctorine" you will be able to get
an Ohio license as the provision in this bill does not allow a sherrif to look
at your sealed record

At least this will be true if the Governor signs the bill, as he has stated he will
chadwimc

Post by chadwimc »

Bearcat,

You're agonizing too much. Get a Florida permit.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

LarryD wrote:Scruit, that's also my take on this situation. If the OP waits until SB 184 to become law, and expunges his offense, I think he'll be all set.
Congratulations Bearcat. You can apply in the fall with no worries. :D
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

I have just read all your posts and thanks for your support and information. I will look into getting my record expunged. This is great news.
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Today I went to the village where I received the ticket to get a conviction date and the violation code so I can go ahead with the expungement process. The PO tells me he can not give me this information and I would have to go down to the Hamilton County Justice Center to get a copy of my record. I then asked "if I had been given a ticket today, would it be a village or an OH violation?" He tells me it would probably be a village violation as long as it was a small amount and I was cooperating. So I go to the Justice Center, go to police records, pay my $4.00 to get a copy of my police record and the record comes back with NO convictions or traffic offenses. OK. So according to Hamilton County records, I have not been convicted of an ORC offense. Do, I still contact a lawyer or go ahead and apply? Since I have not been convicted of an ORC drug possesion, I'm still eligible for CCW permit?
spanishropes

Post by spanishropes »

Bearcat:

Do you remember if you paid the marij. citation at the village clerk, or at the county clerk of courts? If you paid it at the village office, it's very likely it was a village citation, and not under the ORC, so it's not a disqualifier...especially if the county has NO record of the violation.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

You need to go buy a lottery ticket. This is your lucky week. :D
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

I can' t remember if I paid the villlage clerk or county. I'm pretty sure it was the village I paid. It was a mail in ticket. I'll try and find out for sure. I can't get something expunged that doesn't exist. Indeed, this may be my lucky week.
adversary13

Post by adversary13 »

chadwimc wrote:Bearcat,

You're agonizing too much. Get a Florida permit.
According to others on these forums if you a resident of Ohio but can not by law obtain an Ohio CHL then you can also not legally carry in Ohio on another states non-resident permit. Has anyone ever heard of this?

ref=

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=200837

-Brock
Last edited by adversary13 on Sat May 31, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Benefactor Life Member...and I Vote!!

Life is too short to use cheap toilet paper!