Misdemeanor Question

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Graz

Misdemeanor Question

Post by Graz »

Hello everyone,
I'm interested in applying for the CCW and have a few concerns. I have a 15 year old disorderly conduct on my record that I had expunged 7 years ago. Got into an argument with a girlfriend (over the phone), however, no physical violence was involved. Served no jail time and paid a small fine. Am I under disability? Is this considered a crime of violence? ORC 2923.13 only seems to consider a felony crime of violence to be a reason for disability while question number 9 on the CCW application asks about convictions for misdemeanor offenses of violence. Just looking for some helpful opinions and clarification as I am new to the forum.
Thanks,
Russ
Last edited by Graz on Wed May 07, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffkirchner
Deceased
Deceased

Post by jeffkirchner »

I don't think disorderly conduct is considered a crime of violence, under Ohio law: 2917.11 Disorderly conduct
The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't believe DC is a crime of violence. We have a few members here that can give you a better answer, but I don't believe it's classified as a violent crime unless a LEO witnessed physical harm.
Guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do!
Proud OFCC Member
Proud USCCA Member
Proud NRA member
Proud American!
Sticks and stones may break my bones but Sabalo's beatings excite me!
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Call the sheriff and ask.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Misdemeanor Question

Post by Morne »

Graz wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm interested in applying for the CCW and have a few concerns. I have a 15 year old disorderly conduct on my record that I had expunged 7 years ago. Got into an argument with a girlfriend (over the phone), however, no physical violence was involved. Served no jail time and paid a small fine. Am I under disability? Is this considered a crime of violence? ORC 2923.13 only seems to considers a felony crime of violence to be a reason for disability while question number 9 on the CCW application asks about convictions for misdemeanor offenses of violence. Just looking for some helpful opinions and clarification as I am new to the forum.
Thanks,
Russ
First, WELCOME!!!

Second, I seriously cannot imagine that this is an impediment. I'll second calling your sheriff and asking, but I doubt you'll have an ounce of trouble.

IANAL
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Graz

Post by Graz »

Gentlemen, thanks for the responses. I'll contact the sheriff and let you all know what happened.
xd

Post by xd »

DV is a pretty common misdemeanor as well as some types of assults even if commited as a juvenile and the case is "sealed". The SO can access those records.
gunsho919

Re: Misdemeanor Question

Post by gunsho919 »

Graz wrote:Hello everyone,
I'm interested in applying for the CCW and have a few concerns. I have a 15 year old disorderly conduct on my record that I had expunged 7 years ago. Got into an argument with a girlfriend (over the phone), however, no physical violence was involved. Served no jail time and paid a small fine. Am I under disability? Is this considered a crime of violence? ORC 2923.13 only seems to consider a felony crime of violence to be a reason for disability while question number 9 on the CCW application asks about convictions for misdemeanor offenses of violence. Just looking for some helpful opinions and clarification as I am new to the forum.
Thanks,
Russ
I have a Disorderly Conduct on my record from something that happened a few years ago. I was able to get my CHL with no problem. Its pretty much equivlant to a traffic ticket in Ohio. Ive never even bothered to get it expunged.
nitropowered

Post by nitropowered »

I have a DC misdemenor and I got my CHL no problems. DC is not listed as one of the prohibitions from getting your license
almega

Post by almega »

xd wrote:DV is a pretty common misdemeanor as well as some types of assults even if commited as a juvenile and the case is "sealed". The SO can access those records.
DV will keep you from owning a gun, period :(
Colonel: All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid.
Robert: It keeps me warm.

"I've seen officers pull the weapons and their finger goes right on the trigger! BAD COP!, NO DONUT!" - Dr. Winston
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Actually, at my age I'm pretty proud of the DC on my record from my earlier days. No problem with my CHL.
dbones

Post by dbones »

I have an assault that is over 20 years old on my record and i have my CCW license.
Graz

Post by Graz »

Hey guys,
I can't seem to get a response from the sheriff regarding my original question. ( Is disorderly conduct considered a misdemeanor crime of violence? ) Called Delaware SO and left a message. I also sent two e-mails with no answer. Is it OK to consult with a SO other than your county of residence for questions and application purposes? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Russ
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Graz wrote:Hey guys,
I can't seem to get a response from the sheriff regarding my original question. ( Is disorderly conduct considered a misdemeanor crime of violence? ) Called Delaware SO and left a message. I also sent two e-mails with no answer. Is it OK to consult with a SO other than your county of residence for questions and application purposes? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Russ
Call some of the counties that are adjacent to you. After all, you can apply at any of those counties...not just you "home" county.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Thank God they didn't check my Army Records before they issued my CHL. They might of re-arrested me. Proud to display my Honorable Discharge though. :wink:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens