CHL Renewal, Section V?

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

CHL Renewal, Section V?

Post by SMMAssociates »

I'm going to be putting in my renewal request in the next couple weeks, and just noticed Section V of the application.

"Have you ever applied for another CHL?" (paraphrased)

Anybody know how to deal with that for a renewal. It appears that they want "last time", and my PA and NH information, but, given that none of this was ever rejected, other than OH, it's sort of "none of your business", and probably shouldn't be applicable to a renewal anyway.

Did I miss something as usual? :D

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Paul

Post by Paul »

I did my renewal a few days ago with the Stark Cty Sheriff. They wanted me to list Stark Cty (original license issue) and the date. I don't have any out of state licenses.

Stark County has the visitors parking lot posted. I know there is not weapons inside, but you can't even get in the parking lot.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Paul:

Thanks....

Seems to me that the "have you applied" section is there to monitor folks applying in different counties, possibly to get around a denial. It shouldn't apply, IMHO/IANAL, at all to a renewal, unless you've got a denial.

I just found out that Columbiana County will accept applications (and the money) at the Courthouse during normal business hours (0800-1600), but it appears that you can only go to the Jail (way out in the middle of nowhere) to do the final processing between 0800 and 0900. That should be a violation of something or other. (I work midnights right now, if you define sitting in front of a PC in my home office and torturing a PC network and an AS/36 about 20 miles away as work.)

Stark County can't post their parking lot unless Clyde goes against us. They can post the building, but not the lot.... Same deal as a County Fairgrounds....

Funny thing - Columbiana's courthouse has the usual deputies and metal detectors, but the Jail area where the Sheriff's station is has nothing but a locked inner door. You could backpack a howitzer in there if you wanted to take the chance.... I'm not sure there was even a sign back in 2004....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I just found out that Columbiana County will accept applications (and the money) at the Courthouse during normal business hours (0800-1600), but it appears that you can only go to the Jail (way out in the middle of nowhere)
It's only 5-10 min due West of The Court House off of RT 172, I think.
to do the final processing between 0800 and 0900
Actually, it's worse than that...8:00 and 8:30. I think due to poor staffing.

Funny thing - Columbiana's courthouse has the usual deputies and metal detectors, but the Jail area where the Sheriff's station is has nothing but a locked inner door. You could backpack a howitzer in there if you wanted to take the chance.... I'm not sure there was even a sign back in 2004....
There is a sign,,, a large one before you enter the building.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

Somebody else asked this same question a few weeks ago:

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=18123
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Jake:

I've been there - but it was four years ago, and I'm old now :)....

Way out in the middle of nowhere, more or less. We won't even talk about the "trustee" who spotted me parking to pick up my CHL and asked about it. He had to know that there was a gun in the car someplace.

I don't recall a sign near the Sheriff's Station part of the building (on the lower level) back then, but who knows.

That staffing thing is just plain wrong. At least the weather's nice, but it's still quite a ride from here, and an awful short window, not to mention the obscene hour.... I finally crawled into bed about 0630 Saturday AM, and the mutt was pestering me to let him outside about 0700. I'm still trying to get the toothpicks in place to hold my eyelids up.

rickt:

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that other thread. Correctly, Section V probably should read "other applications that are pending or have been denied" - it's simply silly to list "I got one" on a renewal, and none of their business if you've got PA and NH, or any of the other states, for that matter. (I suppose a denial from another state might be important, but if you're clean in OH, it's almost a Fifth Amendment thing to admit to a denial from another state, because that probably means you didn't get caught in OH....)

Much ado about nothing, though, I'd bet - it's not likely that any of this will be checked anyway.

It feels like the follow-ups at the Jail will be "by appointment", btw, if the staffing is that bad. I doubt if they could see more than four or five people in a 30-minute window on a drop-in basis. Back in '04, we were given a day, and they were "open" from 1000 to 1200 or something like that. First come, first serve, but Chip finished up whoever was there - he pulled the sign-in at noon, though. Still, he spent a good five minutes with each applicant. (Nice guy, btw.)

I'm going to try to get there next week, and see what happens. Gotta remember to take that penknife out of my pocket :D....

Back to topic, it looks like the consensus on the other thread matches my view - fill in the blanks as requested.... I always love documents that lack the space for the information they ask for....

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
JimMullinsWVCDL

Post by JimMullinsWVCDL »

Paul wrote:I did my renewal a few days ago with the Stark Cty Sheriff. They wanted me to list Stark Cty (original license issue) and the date. I don't have any out of state licenses.

Stark County has the visitors parking lot posted. I know there is not weapons inside, but you can't even get in the parking lot.
If you're talking about a publicly-owned parking lot, it should be covered by preemption, Ohio Rev. Code § 9.68. The statutory CPZs in § 2923.126(B) do not include outdoor areas of most government property; division (C)(3) of that section only allows private property owners to electively create their own CPZ.
James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
Founder, Past President, Legislative Director, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
Life Member, NRA
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

I asked Lorain County S.O. and they said to list the original licensure. I did.
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Sky Pilot:

Common sense CYA answer :D....

When the application was originally created, there were no renewals, and none likely for some time. It's likely that the "catching those denied elsewhere" attitude defined the original question.

I'm guessing that this wasn't reconsidered when renewals became possible. That you are requesting a renewal implies that you applied someplace else, sometime....

(OTOH, asking where you got your original CHL from may be meaningful. I've decided not to be mad :D. The question should have been worded better.)

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

SMMAssociates wrote:Sky Pilot:

Common sense CYA answer :D....

When the application was originally created, there were no renewals, and none likely for some time. It's likely that the "catching those denied elsewhere" attitude defined the original question.

I'm guessing that this wasn't reconsidered when renewals became possible. That you are requesting a renewal implies that you applied someplace else, sometime....

(OTOH, asking where you got your original CHL from may be meaningful. I've decided not to be mad :D. The question should have been worded better.)

Regards,
I got my oriignal license in Clermont County and renewed in Warren. Warren contacted Tim Rodenberg's office in Batavia and obtained a copy of the original application and used it as part of the renewal, probably so they would have a complete file. I did include that I had applied for a Florida license and had not been denied.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mike:

Showing up in that tank may have helped, too :D....

I expect that "where did you get your original CHL from" info would be useful. But we have a rather confusing question there ;).

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

SMMAssociates wrote:Mike:

Showing up in that tank may have helped, too :D....

I expect that "where did you get your original CHL from" info would be useful. But we have a rather confusing question there ;).

Regards,
That tank is an M60A1. Just calling it a tank is like calling a Colt 1911 a .45.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mike:

Ooooops..... :oops:

(I'm not a tank person. Figured it was some kind of M60, but I wouldn't know the "A1" part. My wife won't let me have one of those either. :cry: )

Now, I expect that you'll be in my driveway in the M60A1, too.... Gotta invest in front door armor.... :shock:

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

SMMAssociates wrote:Mike:

Ooooops..... :oops:

(I'm not a tank person. Figured it was some kind of M60, but I wouldn't know the "A1" part. My wife won't let me have one of those either. :cry: )

Now, I expect that you'll be in my driveway in the M60A1, too.... Gotta invest in front door armor.... :shock:

Regards,
Wish I could have one. It would be great for rush hour. But at about 4 miles per gallon of diesel, it wouldn't be very cost effective.
-- Mike

SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Mike:

Yeah, but it'd be FUN!

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם