CHL Renewal Reports

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

weakhand luke wrote:
Why the impatience with a renewal?
2/28-received phone call from Sheriff's Office. License is ready to pick up. Five days.
Why the impatience?
Well, for one thing, yours only took five days and I'm still waiting!!
(arms folded)
(tapping foot impatiently)
(trying really hard to keep a straight face and not having much luck!)
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

I have an appointment on Friday morning to renew (and register a change of address) in Hamilton County. When I called this morning for the appointment, the recorded message said not to bother leaving voice mail, as they're so busy that they wouldn't respond to it.

I called back and was taken care of in short order. The lady answering the phone explained exactly what I would need to bring, asking the appropriate questions through the process. (Had I been an Ohio resident for five years? Did I obtain my original license in Hamilton County? Etc...)

I expect the process will be relatively painless. I'll report back on Friday.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
dowop

Post by dowop »

It took 5 days in Trumbull County.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Picked up my renewal in Licking County this morning. 14 days. Not too bad and they were pleasent.
Carol
jts1031

Post by jts1031 »

Props to Fayette County as my father works through the week and is unable to make it in during regular hours to renew. The person in charge of the renewals is coming in Saturday morning to accomodate his renewal application.
jabeatty

Hamilton County renewal process

Post by jabeatty »

Just a quick follow-up: I arrived 20 minutes early for my appointment and wound up being through with the process by the time 7:30 rolled around.

I'm still a couple months short of my five-year move-to-Ohio anniversary, so my prints are going to BCI and the Feds. Hamilton County has replaced their digital print scanner since I was there last; the new one works well, and you can see the prints on-screen before they're sent. FBI prints now go electronically as well, so no more ink & paper printing.

The lady in charge of license processing (Janie) said that BCI is causing the big delays for them. She said it's taking 3 weeks for them to respond to background checks due to renewals and other demands (I wonder if there are a lot of election-related checks?).

The three employees I interacted with were all courteous and seemed genuinely appreciative of the fact that I had everything in order. Btw, even though Hamilton County keeps a scanned image of your training certificate, having a printed copy saves them some time looking it up and printing it for attachment to the new application.

I'll report back when the replacement license is issued.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rickt »

The Lorain County SO called me last night to tell me my renewal license is ready and I can pick it up on Monday. That means it took them nine days to process my renewal.

Picked up my renewal Monday afternoon. Took about fifteen minutes.
laserbiz

Re: Renewing in Geauga County

Post by laserbiz »

Cruiser wrote:
loup wrote:I went to the Geauga Sheriff on Saturday 2/23. When I called during the week they said they sometimes have a crowd on Saturdays. I got there about 7:45 a.m. and found the waiting room empty. I had to bring a new passport photo, but the deputy didn't want a new application. He asked if anything was changed. I said no. He took my picture and $55 and told me he'd call me in 5-7 days to pick up my new license. As usual Deputy Dewey was courteous.
This is what boils my butt! :x Differant Sheriff's playing loose with the law! The Law requires a new application.
I got to obey the law but they don't? :x
I just called to double check with Geauga County Sheriff's office. Officer Dewey said if nothing has changed, all you need is a new picture, your old permit, your drivers license, and of course $55 and you are good to go!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Renewing in Geauga County

Post by Cruiser »

laserbiz wrote:
Cruiser wrote:
loup wrote:I went to the Geauga Sheriff on Saturday 2/23. When I called during the week they said they sometimes have a crowd on Saturdays. I got there about 7:45 a.m. and found the waiting room empty. I had to bring a new passport photo, but the deputy didn't want a new application. He asked if anything was changed. I said no. He took my picture and $55 and told me he'd call me in 5-7 days to pick up my new license. As usual Deputy Dewey was courteous.
This is what boils my butt! :x Differant Sheriff's playing loose with the law! The Law requires a new application.
I got to obey the law but they don't? :x
I just called to double check with Geauga County Sheriff's office. Officer Dewey said if nothing has changed, all you need is a new picture, your old permit, your drivers license, and of course $55 and you are good to go!
Just what I said1 What he is doing is great for the person renewing, but is totally against the law as it is written! Do you want me to look it up and quote it?
jeffkirchner
Deceased
Deceased

Post by jeffkirchner »

My CHL was originally issued in Hocking County. I renewed in fairfield County.
The training certificate I used (NRA Basic Pistol) is dated January 22, 2004.

Wednesday, February 20 - Called and scheduled appointment for friday. A few minutes later Kathy called me back to get my name, CHL number, and expiration date (yeh, I gave her my phone number the first time, but not my name, or anything else. :lol: ), and to remind me about the things I have to bring with me (all of the documents that were required for the original.)
Thursday, February 21 - Kathy called and asked if I wanted to reschedule because of the weather that was expected friday. I rescheduled for monday.
Monday, February 25 - Submitted my application. The CHL lady took my picture and showed me my renewal on the monitor. No problems or surprises.
Friday, March 14 - Kathy called and said I can pick up my new license monday through friday 'till 4:00.
The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Banker Billy

Post by Banker Billy »

Well . . . here's my story . . .

I live in Tuscarawas County, but work in Holmes County. Applied for my original CHL in Holmes County on April 08, 2004. Recieved it on April 15, 2004 -- Tax Day ! !

So . . . contacted Holmes Coounty SO about renewing my CHL. Applications taken M-F, 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. No appointment required -- first come-first served.

Stopped at the department at 2:00 p.m. yesterday. Took along my new application, copy of my training certificate and a money order for $55. In less than 15 minutes and I was back on the road again.

Depatment called today at 11:00 a.m. "Billy -- your paperwork is done -- pick it up anytime"

Renewed in only 21 hours ! ! !

Holmes County is GREAT ! ! Give them a try ! ! !
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

I am in Tuscarawas County myself, I do NOT Have my CCW yet
And don't know if I will get mine, I have never been in any Trouble, so when I apply there shouldn't be any Trouble, but with Govt. Agencies, who knows :lol:
But I saw a Post where someone said they had to get a New Passport Picture before they renewed their CCW Permit ?
My question is this, why did he need a "Passport" Photo ?
And if I go to the Sheriff's Office for the Application, I need to bring a Photo of me ?
What Kind of Photo do they need ? and my Driver's License Photo isn't good enough to show who I am ?
I am new, and I am still trying to figure out how I go about getting my CCW License, I guess I should just call the Sheriff's Office to start huh ? :roll: LOL
And on the Adjoining Sheriff's Dept. being able to issue a CCW License, what would be the Difference if I go through the Tuscarawas County SO or the Carroll County SO ? don't they all have the same info on the Person ? I mean, doesn't the same FBI do the Background Check ? isn't that all there is, the FBI looks for Past Convictions and/or Felonies, and if there isn't any Past Convictions of Domestic Violence or Felonies, then they issue the CCW License ?
Heck, in Tuscarawas County, our Sheriff knows just about everyone anyhow, we have a Damn Good Sheriff here in Tuscarawas County and our Sherrif actually has a Great Track Record on catching the Bad Guys also :D
So I am looking at $50 for the CCW Class, and then $55 for the CCW License, so $105 for the CCW License ?
Is there any other Hidden Cost's, or is $105 the Total ?
Thank You very Much from a Newbie
Gator
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

GatorNavy wrote:I am in Tuscarawas County myself, I do NOT Have my CCW yet
And don't know if I will get mine, I have never been in any Trouble, so when I apply there shouldn't be any Trouble, but with Govt. Agencies, who knows :lol:
But I saw a Post where someone said they had to get a New Passport Picture before they renewed their CCW Permit ?
My question is this, why did he need a "Passport" Photo ?
And if I go to the Sheriff's Office for the Application, I need to bring a Photo of me ?
What Kind of Photo do they need ? and my Driver's License Photo isn't good enough to show who I am ?
I am new, and I am still trying to figure out how I go about getting my CCW License, I guess I should just call the Sheriff's Office to start huh ? :roll: LOL
And on the Adjoining Sheriff's Dept. being able to issue a CCW License, what would be the Difference if I go through the Tuscarawas County SO or the Carroll County SO ? don't they all have the same info on the Person ? I mean, doesn't the same FBI do the Background Check ? isn't that all there is, the FBI looks for Past Convictions and/or Felonies, and if there isn't any Past Convictions of Domestic Violence or Felonies, then they issue the CCW License ?
Heck, in Tuscarawas County, our Sheriff knows just about everyone anyhow, we have a Damn Good Sheriff here in Tuscarawas County and our Sherrif actually has a Great Track Record on catching the Bad Guys also :D
So I am looking at $50 for the CCW Class, and then $55 for the CCW License, so $105 for the CCW License ?
Thank You very Much from a Newbie
Gator
First, take the class. That will answer a lot of your questions. Once you have the training certificate, fill out the application, answer it truthfully and completely, obtain two passport style photos (some sheriffs only require one), get the exact change together and contact your sheriff to see if you need an appointment or when you can come in. Many sheriffs maintain websites with this information on it.

The passport photo is maintained as part of your file - it is attached to the application. If you are a member of AAA, they will take passport photos at no charge once annually here in Cincinnati. I don't know about other areas. Otherwise, you can get them at Walgreens, Walmart and a bunch of other places for about $7.50. Or, if you have a digital camera and a deceent photo printer and photo paper for the printer, you can take your own and cut them to the correct size.

After you take the class, if you have more questions, post them here if your instructor didn't answer them to your satisfaction.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

GatorNavy wrote:So I am looking at $50 for the CCW Class, and then $55 for the CCW License, so $105 for the CCW License ?
If you've lived somewhere other than in Ohio during the past five years, you'll pay $79 for the license and background check. The FBI handles the out-of-state portion of the background checks on the short-timers, while BCI takes care of the whole deal for long-term Ohio residents.
--
GatorNavy

Post by GatorNavy »

I have lived in Ohio all my Life, except in Jan 1981- Nov 1984 when I was in the Military, so that is no Problem :D

Now I have a question on the Photo, what is the Photo For ? I mean what is the Purpose of me taking my OWN Photo, printing it out, and then cutting it down to size, I mean what does the Sheriff's Office do with this Photo ?
And how do you get this Photo at Wal-Mart ? do you go into the Service Counter and tell them that you need a Passport Photo ?
Doe's the Sheriff's Office use the "Self Supplied" Photo on your CCW Permit ?
Thank You
Bob